Who owns the wood?

Wu-Tangled":11gjb97m said:
and make sure you don't burn any Yew. It's toxic. Contains a natural cyanide. The fumes of which can kill.

I can see the poster campaign now:

Yew can kill you!

s_zigmond":1v0u6b9x said:
Try freecycle. I get all my wood off there. People are only too happy to get rid of it!!

^^^ what he said. Often people are chopping up trees in their garden and it's an arse to get it to the local tip. I've seen it on freecycle quite often.

OK
Legal standpoint as far as im aware and it hasnt been repealed is

You can take wind-blown trees without too much problem,but you must ask permission from the land owner.
wind-blown is the term for trees felled by nature.
the laws been on the books since i think the 12th century ,to allow the common man to collect timber for free in winter,thus enabling him to feed his family and keep them warm.
Put in place by one of our more liberal kings
There is also a lot left from clear felling,its left lying around to breakdown and add natural fertilizer ,mostly branches up to 5" - 8" in diameter.

You could help tidy up after the tree-fellers ;)

If you're thinking of the massive piles in thetford and brandon I thinks theyre supposed to be left alone...

Windfall is ok tho... And as windfall is usually dead stuff, its pretty dry to burn.

My stove which from September-April does all of my cooking, water heating and cabin heating is powered by palettes. Companies are delighted for you to take them.

Plus, the girls like to see me cutting big bits of wood up with my axe and bow saw. :cool:

i used to go round the industrial estates breaking up pallets(clean ones and use the big blocks in them for fuel.never cost a penny cos the firms had to pay to get rid of them.the really big ones burnt for ages...then i moved...got married....had the will to live sucked out of me and now dwell in the frozen pit of marriage.. :shock:

Back