Who made this strange frame?

Orbiter

Retro Newbie
Recently purchased, this frame has a deep groove running the whole length of the top tube into which the rear brake cable would be located. Despite this extravagance the frame is light (2.5kg with forks) and appears to be of very high quality. It has Columbus rear drop-outs and a Cinelli cast BB with a strange kind of cast in guard covering the cable guides. The seller did not believe the MBK or Emmelle stickers were original to the frame. The forks have Campagnolo ends. With such a unique feature somebody must know who made it?
Any information would be helpful. I'm guessing it would be Italian.

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
That's a Cinelli Supercorsa bb shell. It'll make the frame no earlier than 1984. It's not a Cinelli Supercorsa frame though because the seat stay/seat pin clamp bolt are wrong for that model.

Thank you Jim. I have since noticed that the seat clamp assembly has a Cinelli winged C logo stamped into it, although as you say it's not a Supercorsa frame (unfortunately).
So it appears that this has the Cinelli 'Spoiler' bottom bracket. Also it has english threading, 68mm width with no bridge behind it.

Was there an English pro team rode Emelle bikes? If so, that would make the transfers original, however the Emelle factory wouldn't have made those frames, the manufacture would have been subbed out to a custom frame shop, hence the top quality

Thank you Pigman that is a helpful tip which has led me to discover that there was indeed an MBK-emmelle team. A UK team which seems to have only been around for 1988. Sid Barras was DS. As for possibly being an actual team frame I have discovered there was a bracket for a number under the top tube which has been crudely cut off (see pic), grinder marks still visible. Not sure if there was a connection to the Fagor - MBK TDF team but the colour scheme of the frames is the same including the fully chromed rear triangle. (see photo).

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpeg
    1 (1).jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 3 (1).jpeg
    3 (1).jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 2 (1).jpeg
    2 (1).jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 1 (2).jpeg
    1 (2).jpeg