who knows what about muddyfox!

I've no idea on value but that is pretty awesome! Right down to the colour matched thumbies.

Frank Bruno had a Muddy Fox, and they floated on water. They were THAT good :LOL:

Re: muddy fox history

Hi, i know that this is a very old post but if you still go on here are still interested in what you asked i can tell you that as another poster said it wa started off by a greek fellow, Ari, and Drew was a director. The french connection was manufrance who made bikes,guns and sawing machines.the sales of all did not do so well and the first muddy foxes were made in japan by araya, the rim people. it was in 85 that steve who was only 15/16 at the time started to work in the shop they owned in the west end and soon was manager then put the designs and specs together for the muddy fox courier, the bike that took muddy fox almost world wide. The courier and all other models that came after that were made in china and this was the end of the japan made models.
steve left the business a couple of years later and the business went bust/down. it was then bought by, i think a indian or german company then sold onto universal cycles, or something along them lines.
If you can get a copy of the supplement magazine of dec 1985 from the sunday times then a three page article on the courier in in it.

Steve now owns wilsons cycles in peckham,london
Ari, the greek owner then went on to bring in daewoo cycles and a few other things .

i know this as i am steve
hope that this helps with the history for you
good luck
steve

ps
i also did a lot of reviews on bikes in bicycle action mag

crikey, thats some history right there, ive one of the araya bikes sold as an s&g cycles bike, they also did a couple of bmx iirc, did you have owt to do with them? they then turned into muddy fox bikes, i think the year after mine they were listed by araya as muddyfox something or others

and welcome, this is when retrobike really coms into its own :) :)

Re:

Hi
The box bikes are also made by araya and we used to call them the ET bikes as some had a basket on the front, but the few better models had numbers.
If your bike had s and g cycles on them ( this came about as the company was Kirwall t/a s and g distributors ltd) your bike would have been a muddy fox : adventure ,explorer, pathfinder ,city or a city two. You would have had the gold sticker saying something like sgh18 or something. Models that came after them or the later models you could say we're the Rambler, almost identical to pathfinder but had a semi slopping front fork crown. The muddy fox monarch which was painted in white gold and cost £675 then the ltd edition which was a grand and was in a green colour. This was the same frame as the monarch but had all smooth welds bit like the cannon dale bikes.
A biter later on was the courier comp and a lot of other variations.
We did have a couple of other one off models that we had as samples but never put into production.
The courier got its name from just that, a courier. The shop was below the offices and I remember the day so clear, the sample or prototype came in and I built it up them Drew and Ari came down from upstairs and and it was about two weeks away the the cycle show that used to be at Wembley and were saying shall we put it out as a model, I was all for it as it was my design and my spec, Ari agreed to put it out at the show but we needed a name than at that point a courier called Jim waked in and that's how it got its name. We took it to the show and took orders for something like 1000 but had a waiting time of four months or more.
It was the first bike that we used a head set that was self locking, it had a coil spring built in.
Well hope that I have not bored you all
Regards
Steve

Re:

Hell no!!!!!!!!

Awesome to read and here about part of our history and mtbs. We all presume stuff at times and its nice to here true history :)

Re:

Do know if you remember the Noel Edmunds late late breakfast show on tv in the 80s? We supplied them with about 10 pathfinders that we put discs on the rear wheels and they had a underwater mountain bike race in a swimming pool. You could try looking on YouTube as someone may have put a copy of it up
One poster on here said at I was a shipping magnet, he was in fact an accountant in Dubai
I will post a bit more about the muddy fox days over the next few days if I have time.
I am also doing a new web site for my shop and may put a page on they just about the muddy fox times

Glad I dropped in for a read. Not ridden much recently (broke my ankle) but my muddyfox prestige comp from 1990 is my GOTO retro, being the highest spec model I've owned, that include a seeker and sorcerer mega, pathfinder and courier comp. I'd still like an 88 explorer but I doubt I'll get the chance now.

Carl.

Re:

Seeker, that's right I forgot about that one, that replaced the explorer, the original explorer.
Good times, i sometimes think of them and wonder what would have happened to muddy fox if I had not left.
so many wild parties and a couple of xmas parties that were wild.
We did do a couple of lady's models the vixen which was the same as the city two but lady's frame.
And a lady's courier which the factory decided to change the spec of the rear brake and not tell us and what that kent was the riders foot would hit the caliper arms, remember the brakes were long arms, so we had to get to the drawing board very quick and we came up with a new smaller brake that we had to have 100s shipped over then send them out yo dealers to change free of charge

Back