Which are the best retro brakes?

I had quite a few back in the 80s, ranging from Campag super record, Suntour Superb Pro, Weinman 405s, and Shimano Dura Ace 7400. The Dura Ace worked the best.

I have no complaints about my 1050 calipers I use on my TT bike. The last thing I want to do that is stop anyway. They do work well. As do a set of 1056 brakes I have. Old Dura ace 7403 calipers should work very well.

Strange you should mention that......Kevin Sayles drilled so much from my Weinmann 500's on my TT bike that a good pull on the brakes might have bent them LOL

Shaun

bloody hell! you could start with those and build the bike around it!
I know it's not quite what you meant, but Cervelo have built a bike around them...well at least the front end:
115-561x421.jpg

The rear is tucked under the chainstays.

If I could crowbar a reservoir and plunger into a Campagnolo EPS lever, I think it would make a great - and cable-less - build...
Not completely cableless, but if you want to use the Campag levers, there's a cable operated piston/reservoir option:
Magura-RT8-C-2.jpg

Any idea if they'd work with the Formula hydraulic disc Ergo/EPS levers that have appeared on Colnagos lately? That would give hydraulicbrakes and electric shifting :shock:
colnago%20formula%20campy.jpg

Back to retro stuff now...

All the best,

Back