When will it bloody end with motorists attitude ??

The scooter bit might be why my son is not a boy racer, he had a scooter b/w 16 and 17 and has always been a good driver, he did have an accident on his scooter on a very narrow lane with absolutely no passing points on a sharp corner where he collided with a Range Rover it was considered a faultless accident as no one was found to be speeding they just came round the corner at the same time too late to actually see each other, my son did end up with his head, in his helmet, trapped half under the wheel of the Range Rover, enough to give anyone a sense of their own mortality, he now at 20 has an articulated lorry licence.

Alison

he has no right to be on the road as he doesn't pay road tax!! .[/quote said:
so does this mean that tax exempt cars, I.e over 25 years old, have no right to be on the road?
doyle :roll:

dav101":3kl63zsj said:
he has no right to be on the road as he doesn't pay road tax!! .[/quote:3kl63zsj said:
so does this mean that tax exempt cars, I.e over 25 years old, have no right to be on the road?
doyle :roll:

... popular missconception
Its not been "over 25" after the second term of the labour govt.
Labour introduced it as a 25 year rolling programe, and then froze it (forget at which year).. presumably as they realised everyone would soon be trying to keep their smokey old bangers going, just to save on "Road Tax"

I think it is now set at 1974, so now 39 and older

G

Barneyballbags":1ph2wrpi said:
I'm on your side :D
Did the lad do anything wrong which would have caused the car driver to lash out, or was the car driver just one of those a**eholes who has a personal vendetta against anything on 2 wheels?
The lad said he was stopped at traffic lights when a car stopped at the side of him and the door mirror
of the car touched his handlebars and the lad moved his bike out the way and the door mirror went with
'clunk' and this is what set the car driver off on one, I told the lad that he should take the whole lane
at lights to stop cars from stopping at the side of him but he said its too dangerous to do that.

answer to your question is it will never end. things can be done about it e.g. like for exampe every driver has to cycle for 2 weeks of every year to appreciate the hazzards of cyclists but there is not enough will to make any changes. so a few cyclists may die each year unnecessarily but that still will not make any difference as the numbners are too small.

the best cyclists can hope for is a head cam or other camera to record these occruences then report to police.

Regarding the contributions cyclists make, in general, I have a friend on Horton parish council who mentioned to me about a tourism study which showed that the average motorist visiting the Yorkshire Dales for a day spends £4, the average cyclist spends £9 in the community they visit...

Now I think the standard of driving in Great Britain is getting worse. If I visited Leeds I used to think it was full of blind monkey drivers, then whenever I went to "Larndarn" I found they drove even worse and Paris was worse still. A few years later I realised that Larndarn was now as bad as Paris and now Leeds is as bad as "Larndarn" or Paris (Surprisingly driving standards in Geneva are even worse than Paris, yes the Swiss are shit drivers, but the worst place of all was Trieste, dear God I'm surprised I'm still alive!).
Yet this national deterioration is against a background of ever more stringent licencing; when I started on a motorbike the driving theory test was just been piloted, by the time I started learning to drive a few years after there was theory and hazard perception as well. We now have 6 point disqualifications for new drivers and really tight drink driving thresholds- with a utterly changed public perception of drink driving. People used to think it was sort of ok, now we equate drink drivers to Kiddie-fiddlers. The first time I went to the Isle of Man they had just passed a law banning the use of mobile phones whilst driving, I thought it was great and wished we had it in the United Kingdom, three or four years later we did.
KDM":n9x7j83r said:
Being a motorcyclist as well as a car,van,lorry and cyclist, I have long felt the way to a car licence has always been too easy. Personally I feel that it should start off with a scooter. This would teach spacial awareness, consideration for others and the vunerability so few car drivers are aware of.

From scooter they should progress to a car with an engine size no bigger than 1.0 for the first 12 months to teach them roadcraft. Only after the scooter and first 12 months to a small engine should they be allowed free rain. It might also help some of them with insurance.

This route would very much sort out those who want to drive and those who are able to drive. This should apply to all ages who are considering a licence for a vehicle.

KDM's idea sounds good but it doesn't go far enough. If you go to Larndarn the streets are full of "Knowledge Boys" [And presumably girls] on motorscooters with clipboards on the handlebars learning the routes around London. So they are used to been vulnerable road users in a threatening urban environment. What happens as soon as they get behind the fetid wheel of a black taxi? They turn into blind ranting, swerving Gits, who are too busy telling their passengers about "What I'd do to people like that" and "Enoch was right" and day dreaming about hiding their income from the tax man and moving out to Hornchurch or the Isle of Sheppey to notice that they share the road with others.
The Rich Aitch solution? The route to motoring starts with compulsory cycling proficiency [For the able bodied], followed by at least six weeks horse riding, including helping to lead anxious young horses on the road, followed by motorcycle CBT, followed by two years of motorcycling, then car test, then you are restricted to a "Proper" Mini, which you purchase after your compulsory visit to the Science Museum where you get to look at the chopped-in-half Mini and see just how flimsy it is.

I'm in two minds about making cars less crash-worthy too. When a journalist asked Sir Alec Issigonis- the designer of the Mini, Morris 1100, Morris Minor and Austin Maxi- why his cars didn't have sturdier impact protection the great man took his Capstan full strength from out of his mouth, uncrossed his legs at his Clarks suede desert booted ankles, paused and said "I give my cars superb steering, road holding, braking and driver visibility. After all that if the driver is stupid enough to crash the car it's their own fault." Maybe a bit harsh for anyone who has ever arrived at the scene of a fatal traffic accident but it's something I kept thinking of each time my Mum was a passenger on a bus that got driven into by a feckless motorist who was insulated by their own "I'm alright I've got an airbag" mentality. After been an on board witness to three bus crashes in three months she now recognises the accident investigator from First Bus by his telephone voice, even before he introduces himself! Interestingly the car engineers at Ford Europe were shocked when their market research showed that British motorists weren't interested in Anti-Lock-Brakes, i.e something that could help avoid an accident, they just wanted airbags. Ford paraphrased their mentality by saying that Anti Lock wasn't a "Sexy feature", thus the Ford Mondeo became the first car to have an airbag as standard. In a sentence; pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, horses and bus users can't all have airbags and side impact protection... so should motorists have such protection?

Re. When will it bloody end with motorist's attitude?

Answer: never

Why?

The CPS can't jail an individual walking around with a loaded gun, so what chance have they of bringing justice to a tw@t in charge of 2 ton of steel?

Also, local councils are more interested in chasing OAP's whom put the wrong wheelie bin on the wrong day so they can slap a hefty fine on the poor ol' buggers, when they should be doing something worthwhile like devising proper road layouts which are helpful for everyone's safety.

Back