Wheel bearings need replacement; Shimano rear hub ; parallax lx m563 :

Tbh. If you need new cones because they are pitted.....you probably need a new hub too. As its unlikely one will be knackered if the others not. The race inside the non drive side can't be replaced as its part of the hub body.

Have you got inside it yet? As i wouldn't buy anything till ive seen inside!
I just checked , they look ok , but thank for the tip

that is gauling, it's what happens when a bearing sticks to the cup and pulls out a little bit of steel. As tooty points out, I'd expect the cups to be pretty of similar keputski but stranger things have happened (larger surface area).

Those are bad.....I would take a real good look at the bearing races inside the hub. That level of damage is very likely to be replicated on the race too as @novocaine pointed out.

If it is, tbh, replacing the cones, is not really going to help you, as the bearings will not run properly still and pretty soon end up the same again.

Unless those old cones were put into a wheel with good races not that long ago....which seems highly unlikely.

If the race is bad....put it back together with some really thick grease and just use it till you cant stand it any longer!

If anybody is remotely interested heres a link to nsk and their bearing failure page.....i use it for terminology when takling k.i.a. customers 😂.

Back