Whats this thingy and why !!

fiendish feet

Retro Guru
Just recieved a new project and while sitting here getting familar with the parts ..
The Rear mech has after market pulley joined to the barrel adjuster ..been doing a bit of digging to find out who produced it and hit a wall ...
What was the purpose of them . Can anyone can clue me up on such things .......
IMG_20230906_203354.jpg IMG_20230906_203446.jpg

Just recieved a new project and while sitting here getting familar with the parts ..
The Rear mech has after market pulley joined to the barrel adjuster ..been doing a bit of digging to find out who produced it and hit a wall ...
What was the purpose of them . Can anyone can clue me up on such things .......
View attachment 775831View attachment 775832
It’s supposed to lessen the amount of rear outer cable used and I suppose make shifting a little smoother? Tbh I never understood these add-ons either. They are basically built into sram mechs these days but as an add on I think it’s more for show than any notable advantage.

I had one back in the day, it did help initially but then it just becomes a mud magnet feeding dirt into the cable housing and derailleur.

That a nice roller that takes the kink out of the cable where it enters the barrel adjuster in the derailleur. It can also be used to add some refinement to V-brakes in place of the noodle.

Gear cable housings were often prone to kinking at the barrel adjuster and so making the shifts less crisp/smooth/insert marketing term here.

In reality, it was another chance to spend 20+ quid (non-inflation adjusted) on some bike bling for you and your mates to coo over.

Now they have the same pulley and has the same pourpose, the diference is that today Sram cable routing design is much close and needs the pulley. The 90s idea is back, as always. Nothing new today.

1694081690265.jpeg

Back