What's the deal with auto dip headlights and xenons?

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've seen these auto dip headlights that detect other headlights and dip but what happens in built up lit areas when there isn't another car?
I say because the number of cars that drive with high beam through my village and blind me while walking the dog is quite annoying. Some even switch to high beam right after a car passes and im clearly visible is my high vis jacket.

According to the highway code main headlights are optional in built up lit areas, only sidelights are necessary, certainly high beam is not allowed. And how have xenon lights passed through when they can clearly dazzle.

These daylight running lights are also annoying. I can see they have a place in a bright sunny country but in our dull daylight weather they are just too bright.

Confused.

You MUST

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)
In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

I have auto full beam on my car, BMW call them High Beam Assist and there is a little front facing video camera beneath the rear view mirror that scans ahead to see if there are any cars coming towards you or if it can see the rear lights of any cars ahead and automatically turns the full beam off.

I've had my car 5 years now so I'm used to it but when I first used High Beam Assist on a twisty country road it was spooky seeing the full beam go on and off without me touching anything.

Anyway, to answer your question, my auto full beam automatically detect street lights and turn off full beam around built up areas where there is sufficient ambient light.

However, as a dog owner and auto high beam car owner, I have to point out that even in a high vis jacket I would have to manually over-ride them to dip the headlights for you. The way they are programmed, it ignores any high reflective surfaces (such as street signs and speed limit signs) otherwise it would be constantly turning full beam off when you came to a speed limit sign. So when you are out walking your dog with your high vis on, my car just sees you as a street sign I'm afraid but I always dim my full beam manually for walkers, cyclist and runners.

I didn't realise they scanned street lights. I'm a little confused as to why they are allowed though if they cannot "see" pedestrians or cyclists. Do you think a dim bike light would trigger it? How about the camera lens, does it get dirty quickly hindering its sight? I'm intrigued. Thanks.

The camera looks like this
autobeam_01.jpg

and since it is mounted inside the car and in the path of the wipers it never gets dirty or sees through a dirty screen. I have only ever cleaned mine by giving it a quick wipe about once a year.

Motorbike headlights are detected as are most scooter lights unless they are really really dim in which case they don't get detected until last minute. Pedal bike lights generally don't get detected but some of the latest bike lights are hellishly bright and blinding and these are detected.

It's not meant to completely replace the driver having to switch high beam on and off, just assist (hence BMW named it High Beam Assist) and on a spirited country drive, combined with a head up display and SMG gear paddles on the wheel I can give the road my full attention [unless there's a walker, runner etc in which case any spirited drive ends instantly anyway of course]

PS - just noticed your in Chester too. Hope it hasn't been me blinding you on your walks :shock:

I'm sure it's not you, you sound educated and considerate unlike the average motorist these days.
I was always taught to walk against traffic, carry a torch and wear bright clothing, but that now makes me seen as a lamppost.
I'll get a bigger torch :D

Easy_Rider":2fvwb0by said:
I'm sure it's not you, you sound educated and considerate unlike the average motorist these days.

Educated, considerate, AND a BMW driver...? That's a rarity let me tell you! ;)

Back