Whats in the name?

Re: Re:

t47b":13ehjo7j said:
kermitgreenkona88":13ehjo7j said:
The bike name I struggle with the most is the Kona Scab, no good connotations from that word at all :facepalm:

As a Portuguese speaker I can't believe anyone here would ride around with kona emblazoned on their frame :shock:

Having seen what it means the Kona Scab/Stab get even worse :facepalm: :facepalm:

hamster":24ybv0px said:
That's the usual problem of any name being rude in at least one language.
Ah yes, who can forget the Nova - didn't go down too well in Spanish speaking countries - or the MR2 in France (pronounced "Merde" en Francais)

A friend of mine back in the day used to crack up at bear valley. hur hur hur, i can see your bare valley.... hur hur hur look out you dont crash into daves bare valley hur hur hur.
this then developed into his "stinky stab bear valley", not sure how or why but i think it had something to do with his saddle snapping off.

anyway, back on topic...

Re:

The Pajero in Spanish means w@nker, to avoid this in Spain this car is called the Montero, but as they are SUV's they are still w@nkers :D

Pashley always seemed a little odd, the name that is, and the princess, the sonnet and poppy are clearly labeled to be offensive to women :roll:

But one of the men's bikes is called the Parabike, what is that supposed to conjure up?

Re: Re:

t47b":2ie2ht4g said:
The Pajero in Spanish means w@nker, to avoid this in Spain this car is called the Montero, but as they are SUV's they are still w@nkers :D

Pashley always seemed a little odd, the name that is, and the princess, the sonnet and poppy are clearly labeled to be offensive to women :roll:

But one of the men's bikes is called the Parabike, what is that supposed to conjure up?

I know i should not really laugh but i thought my Triumph Tempest was a odd name but this just gets better and better,not what i expected but very entertaining, and an apology to any of the Lady cyclist looking in, and love the post,best wishes Brian. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

nonowt":ogcvymqm said:
A related question: why would Raleigh release identical bikes with the same name under different marques? Why make a Raleigh Tempest and a Triumph Tempest in the same colours for the same market? I've also seen Raleigh branded versions of the above mentioned Traffic Master and Travellers. :?
We were the same with cars ..
Austin & Morris had identical cars, just different names as did Hilman/singer. Then there are washing powders - all P&G or Levers identical products, just in different named boxes. It's about trying to create & preserve brand loyalty

Back