Whats best 11-32 or 11-34 quicky need to buy

hehe

11-32 XT is my usual cassette

If I wasn't running a ProII rear hub it'd be a SLX, cheaper & not much heavier.

The really perverse thing about cassettes is the more expensive ones don't work better, and wear out quicker. It's understandable if you have some exotic hub that doesn't have a steel freehub, but really, it ain't worth the weight saving otherwise.

one-eyed_jim":mp54p5f5 said:
Has anyone else spotted the new HG61 12-36?
That's supposedly for those new fangled big wheelers (29ers)

Some mech's may have issues with that cassette due to the range, guess it depends on which size chainrings you run

Andy B":51z1ilrc said:
That's supposedly for those new fangled big wheelers (29ers)
I was thinking it might make a nice low-range 2x9...

Some mech's may have issues with that cassette due to the range, guess it depends on which size chainrings you run
I think it's fair to assume my MAVIC short-cage would struggle...

Apparently it's meant for use with a Shadow mech, but word is a normal Mega9 mech will work.

They're £23 at CRC (the HG61 12-36)
Would need the hanger to top pulley to be able to stretch long enough to cope with it though seen as normal seem to be 34 compatible, the stretch too 36 would work, but not perfect. A bit like the stretch from 32 to 34's BiTD etc.. taking the mech past it stated capacity.
But yep Shadows are fully capable
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... t_2009.pdf

If it was 11-36 it would be interesting to keep the high gear without having to move to 48 top rings setup, like BiTD ;)
Mind I do like my 48/11 setup, when are they going to move to 10 at the back to get it back with the 44 setups.. hum

Andy B":1jr0t1xu said:
only the 980/990 have alloy carriers

weight is the main difference

950 weighs about 450g (11-34)
970 weighs about 400g (11-34)
980 weighs about 310g "" ""
990 weighs about 300g "" ""

if you're a weight weenie Shimano are lighter par for par

Deore about 400g (11-34), Sram 950 equivalent
SLX is about 315g, Sram 970 equivalent
XT is about 300g (11-34), Sram 980 equivalent
XTR is about 245g, Sram 990 equivalent

If you're using a Hope ProII hub you need to use an alloy carrier on the cassette (980 or XT and above)

Hum, SLX aka Saint, Deore LX, CS-HG80 is also Alloy carrier according to Shimano...

SLX (HG 80) only has 3 rings mounted on a carrier, so there are still 6 that will gouge a ProII alloy freehub body, compared to XT having 6 (IIRC) mounted on a carrier and 3 not, so less gouging of the freehub body.

Hope actually specify XT or 980 and above for use on the alloy ProII freehub body.

Makes sense then.
They should have also specified something like this for Ti-Glides*.. seen loads of Ti freehub bodies with gouges in them.

*that if they didn't...

Back