What Tyres

detomaso":3hshjzke said:
mojopete":3hshjzke said:
Been having a look at a few tyres, are coloured ones a no no. :?: :LOL:

Pete.

Why the hell not, I think tyres are probably the most boring part of a bike to look at. There are loads and loads of coloured options but make sure the tyre you're looking at is actually any good - what tyres have you been looking at?

Because they're ugly!

The classic tyre/tubular of black tread and natural amber sidewalls is the best looking of all time:

3814594592_a07977c2e5.jpg

53906222_736dbbbbdb_m.jpg

279247450_23aee9906e_m.jpg

279247446_fc65b6a508_m.jpg

279247444_c1a26e73c0_m.jpg

See this tread re the problem of lack of availability of classic looking tyres:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59439

It seems tyres and rims are the parts which are most hard to get right. I've seem so many bikes which are otherwise great looking but have ugly modern rims and tyres (including ugly all black tyres).

The only other colour which is acceptable is the special record attempt type of track tub with a translucent latex tread.

I knew some one would oppose to the coloured tyres. A friend of mine runs all grey tyres which look superb. I bought a hardly used Koga some time ago which came with dried out amber walls. Swapped them for some all black ones to go with the black rims, and it really brought the bike back to life, much cleaner looking. I ran a set of tyres with 2 red stripes on a white bike with red details, which really didn't look half bad. It's just a matter of personal preference, if you want coloured tyres then go for it.

Back