What motivates you to buy a particular car?

Been off for a weekend and what I see - 3 pages!

Wow, wow, wow! Seems, that marketing is just a fiction - not important at all :D :D :D
No one said - OK, I did it as I like the image of it, I like the advertising, I trusted in what they say in commercials about, believed in slogans it etc.

I have been working for 5yrs already in car marketing, seems I do not have to wake up early tomorrow :D :D :D

Anyway, at the end of a day, I do not believe either. Just choose the least practical one that gives the most fun. After - as someone said - six digits in one line.

Cheers,

4 seat family run about.

lotus-evora_main_msp.jpg

To be honest I don't think I'll buy another new car. I've lost too much money over the years.

My main criteria in choosing a car is do I want it?

Andy R":266qhvl5 said:
delboy009":266qhvl5 said:
Age !!!! If its tax free and preferably Ford then it gets my vote !!!

Allthough if its made in Germany that too is a big deciding factor !!

Sounds like my 1984 G-Wagen is right up your street then.

Tax free next year, which is great as it costs about four times as much to tax as to insure at the minute :( .

Sorry to get your day off to a bad start Andy but your G won't be tax exempt next year. Exemption from road fund duty is not on a rolling basis as is only for vehicles built before 31st December 1972.

G wagons are a really cool machine if it makes you feel any better!

Dr S":3eclondk said:
Sorry to get your day off to a bad start Andy but your G won't be tax exempt next year. Exemption from road fund duty is not on a rolling basis as is only for vehicles built before 31st December 1972.

G wagons are a really cool machine if it makes you feel any better!

It wouldn't be tax exempt for you guys in the UK, but here it is implemented on a rolling 25 year system :cool: :cool:
So I still have something to look forward to - and you haven't spoilt my day !

And yes - they are pretty cool machines (especially the 460/461 series, the more basic, part-time 4WD version).
I could never understand the criticisms of the "military styling" - that's what they were originally designed for, after all (thanks to the Shah of Iran), not as they became with the 463 versions with colour coded grills, walnut trim, electronic everything.
A few years ago we spent some time on the Greek island of Samos.
G-Wagen heaven !! Rag top, truck cab, SWB, LWB , 6X6 - you name it, the Greek army has every version possible (mostly built under license in Thessaloniki) and all of course in camo paint - which is how they look best IMHO.

BTW - The photo is taken just as you start to get up into the hills about a mile from my place - you can just see the outline of the Mull of Galloway on the horizon.

Attachments

• G-Wagen.jpg
    G-Wagen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 763
orange71":2l4os2nz said:
Enter my Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo (full blown). :D £800 it cost, too.

Had (and still got) one of these for the past 7 years:

Devastatingly powerful, surprises the young boys in Saxos
torque steer means that you don't actually need any right wheel turning to overtake,
amazing mile-eater
and if you are gentle you can get over 40mpg on a long journey.

No traction control and FWD means it's no 528 round the corners (even if it'll beat one in a drag race) and if you are clumsy you'll be off into the woods.

Just keep a spare DI unit in the back as they go without any warning. Get one off ebay from a breaker.

Nowadays it's worth so little it has negative depreciation if I start the year on empty and end December with a full tank... :D

Despite how little i get out on the bike, i normally go for bike carrying capabilites. Currently have a Pug 307sw estate, but fancy a Vectra SRi estate.

Awaits the mocking comments........

P20":1w1wzhsc said:
fancy a Vectra SRi estate.

Awaits the mocking comments........

I'm on my 3rd Vectra and my Dad is on his 2nd, so we both rate them highly :xmas-cool:

Oh, and is your looking at the V6 petrol SRi, damn they sound good!

Pickle":kk64wu5d said:
Oh, and is your looking at the V6 petrol SRi, damn they sound good!
No, i clocked up 20,000 miles last year so looking at the 150bhp diesel :D
I've seen one in black with blacked out windows, looks a lot like a hearse :?

Back