Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1970s

• 1980s

• Early 1990s

• Total voters
'80s for me, have to admit I wasted most of the decade on motorcycles! You can still pick up great frames from the 80's very reasonably (sometimes!) it's easy to get parts that fit & people aren't too precious about them so don't mind if you mix & match components or build a powder coat fixie bike!
Also, there were some great riders: Millar, Hinault, Fignon, Lemond, Roche, Kelly, Hampsten et al.

For me, it has to be pre-war. Simply because of the huge social effect. No-one could really afford cars, so the population went about on bikes. Huge cycling clubs travelling hundreds of miles in a weekend. Getting out and seeing the country in which they lived, and meeting new people.

It was also the boom time for frame makers, though many disappeared during and after the war. Names that are still held in respect, especially where i grew up. During my teens (the late sixties to early seventies in South London), the frames to have were Claud Butler, Fred Grub, and Holdsworth, local names, even though they had gone out of business, or amalgamated, many years previously. This did carry on into the fifties, but soon people could afford cars, and the bicycle scene waned considerably.

D

80s were very nice but the 90s is where it happened (advances) safer to use STI gears , better Dual pivot brakes , Stronger axle cassette hubs and even removable face stems . and still before madly oversized carbon frame/forks and headsets.

Back