What is the correct fork for my 1991 Klein Attitude?

Some of the earlier one of the 1991 models came with the mitered fork. I do know someone who had one in March of 91 and had a Uniklein, so they were making them by that date for sure but exactly what date they switched over, I'm not sure. I am aware of only one 91 that was sold in the U.S. with mitered fork and some in Europe but still a smallish number (10%? Certainly no higher than 20% and that's a WAG...Wild Assed Guess). My 91 with a Uniklein arrived in May (after having ordered an Adroit to replace my cracked 90 model and even in May, Klein still had **NO** idea when they'd finish the Adroits, so I switched orders to an Attitude).

IMHO, the way to differentiate between the 90 & 91 models are the 90 models had a serial number BATnnn (occasionally ATnnn). The 91's had a serial number A3nn. The 91's also had slightly longer top tubes, at least in the 20" model. IIRC, the catalogs for 91 came out September'ish and who knows when they photographed them, so it's not surprising they spec'd them as you mentioned with the mitered fork in the catalog.

Just curious, you mentioned you had a late 91 with the box crown, when you say "late", what date are you talking about and what makes you recall it as late? You know, later I'm going to have a look at my white 91 and check a few details.

The serial number on my 91 Backfire with box crown fork is A0576 and the decals are 92 style, white center with black outline. So, it's a 91 by your serial number reckoning and a late 91 by my reckoning that it has 92 style decals.

That's the first serial number that I recall with that format. With the box crown fork and the 92 decals, I'm not sure. Did you buy it original? If not, could someone have put an earlier fork on? A frankenbike? Hmmm.....

pinguwin":uiq0el11 said:
That's the first serial number that I recall with that format. With the box crown fork and the 92 decals, I'm not sure. Did you buy it original? If not, could someone have put an earlier fork on? A frankenbike? Hmmm.....

Am I the original owner... c'mon Craig you know me!!! :D

Fork looks original when compared to the rest of the frame. I think it was a one owner bike though and pretty sure it's all original based on the build that was on it and so.

DSC_0643-vi.jpg

mkozaczek":2gboqztv said:
Am I the original owner

Oh, yeah, my dumb.

Not sure what to say about it, there are a few odd ones out there now and then.

Is that the bike from Texas? If so, you beat me to the punch on that one. I snarfed up the white one from MN just after you made your call. I'm nearly done with that one. Hopefully in a month it will be complete. Getting some cranks anno'd black for it.

pinguwin":3imfqh4l said:
mkozaczek":3imfqh4l said:
Am I the original owner

Oh, yeah, my dumb.

Not sure what to say about it, there are a few odd ones out there now and then.

Is that the bike from Texas? If so, you beat me to the punch on that one. I snarfed up the white one from MN just after you made your call. I'm nearly done with that one. Hopefully in a month it will be complete. Getting some cranks anno'd black for it.

You got the better of the two bike in that case... that white one was sweet!!!

I got some black cranks anodized and then realized that I don't have any black crank caps (I'm guessing you mean Shimano cranks)... d'oh

Just thought I would add to this info. on serial numbers. I am not aware that anyone has come up with a definitive explanation to the early Klein serial number system that they used so perhaps if we collate as many serial numbers as possible it might help explain more.

Just checked some of mine, all Attitudes with rigid forks.

Backfire 91 Frame S.No. A3D9 White lettering with black shadow.
Box Fork S.No. A0316 Black lettering with white outline.

Dolomite 90 Fr. BAT3D9 Lettering solid black.
Box Fk. 5A67C Solid black.

Dolomite 91 Fr. A653 Wh. with black shadow.
Uni Fk. A0A36 Blk. with white outline.

Black 90 Fr. BAT703
Box Fk. 5A73F

Hope this helps, maybe start a new thread if anyone else interested, this has become abit of a hyjack here hasn't it?, sorry! Ash.

Don't worry about the hijack, i've got the info i require. A thread with Klein info on is a great idea, would be very useful to get a guide to years and specs. Also does anyone know what the deal is with the www.oldklein.com site? Seems a shame it's inactive.

So after communicating with a few people and having studied the 'web mine is an early 1991 serial number A0E5 and the only photos i can find of another Flare Red it has the box fork fitted. So once i've got the cash (bloody van cambelt snapped) i'll be looking for a box fork.

This is the the Flare Red Attitude picture i found on the 'web

large_KleinAttitudeflare_2.JPG

Back