What has the bicycle done to make people so angry?

Re:

So, £2 BILLION to be spent on cycling and walking.....ohhh the cycle haters are really going to ....erm hate.

Because we move slowly, look silly, and take up lots of room. (To drivers)

Because we move quickly, look silly, and take up lots of room. (To walkers)

Re:

I don't think it is confined just to cyclists.

I recently took to riding motorcycles again and was stunned to have cars move to the right in an effort to block me from overtaking. Of course when I do inevitably overtake on my noisy, rusty ex army 500cc Armstrong with nice big steel pannier frames they can't wait to get out of my way, just in case I (will happily) take a layer of paint off their shiny car.

The difference is that on bicycle we are moving slow enough for the frustration that comes from believing you possess the road you are using to be expressed verbally and with the car horn.

I mostly cycle as far from cars as I can get or at least on the quietest roads I can find, but there are times when I inevitably have to filter through stationary traffic and ohh what fun that is. People in traffic jams really, REALLY hate being overtaken by cyclist and I guess they just retain that pent up frustration.... sad b'stards.

The History Man":3mntvstk said:
Because we move slowly, look silly, and take up lots of room. (To drivers)

Because we move quickly, look silly, and take up lots of room. (To walkers)

Nailed it.

Re:

Re motorists: it’s cars that make people angry. The (entirely justified) self righteous smugness of cyclists just exacerbates that. Lycra, hi-viz, etc don’t help - they are red rags. Would definitely help if more of us dressed like humans. Or rode naked? Retro bikes help. They often make you look less like a futuristic road warrior and more like a person riding a bike.

Pedestrians: actually this is the fault of cyclists. Grown ups shouldn’t be riding on the pavement- especially in areas that are busy with pedestrians. If you’re not man enough for the road then get off and push it. Or at the very least then cycle but slow down! Totally unacceptable to tear along the pavement in a built-up/suburban area IMO, but sadly common.

Also lots of people are just idiots who get angry about nothing. Especially the “other”.

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":3e4en2q8 said:
Also lots of people are just idiots who get angry about nothing. Especially the “other”.

I certainly agree with you on that.

Back