What guidelines for qualification as retro/vintage

Re: Re:

dadoflam":3u2x2e5t said:
For me Retro and Vintage are completely different things.
Vintage is an older bike - lets call it 1983 and before for sake of argument - with original era components.
Retro is a bike which may be 100% modern or have modern components but which has a retrospective style about it. My personal interpretation of retro is a vintage steel frame built up with modern components.

I have a pair of early 70's Cinelli's - one is Vintage and the other is Retro

Nice photo, how did you compose that?

Re: Re:

Montello":1vj9ccwn said:
Nice photo, how did you compose that?

Thankyou - we did it the old fashioned way but got a bit heavy handed on the touch ups on the shadows - got to fix that some time

Wow ... I assume that is your trade ... nice work.

I'd love to get some decent shots of my bike ... this is the best I have achieved.

************************/images/montello/blue/720-jpgs/blue-montello-2.jpg

Hey Montello - not my profession unfortunately but I have several photographer friends which certainly helps - I just accept that my standards are above my abilities in the photo department. Your Pinna is a beautiful looking bike - I have one of same vintage with a bit of racing history but the colour of yours is stunning.

Saying aluminium, titanium and lugged carbon qualify is fine, but how they qualify is what I'm interested in. Bearing in mind you're contributing to Retrobike.com you must consider your bike somehow old-fashioned :)

I originally was trying to find the oldest nice bike I could afford that was older than me b.1969. However a bargain 80s Peugeot fell into my lap. I was a tad disappointed when I more accurately dated it as 90s as that precluded me from Eroica-ing, which wasn't the point of the exercise but struck me as something fun to do one day.

Ajoten":2807f4yt said:
Saying aluminium, titanium and lugged carbon qualify is fine, but how they qualify is what I'm interested in. Bearing in mind you're contributing to Retrobike.com you must consider your bike somehow old-fashioned :)

Because the rules specifically calls them out ....

http://www.eroicacalifornia.com/regulation

6.1 – Bicycles

Historical Bikes (also called Bici Eroiche, in Italian) are all road racing bikes built in 1987 or earlier, with or without gears, as those built in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. These bicycles most likely have a steel frame, but also other types of rare frames are permitted, such as the aluminum frames built by Alan and Vitus, with screwed or glued joints, the Exxon Graftek frames of the late 1970’s with carbon tubes glued to aluminum lugs and Teledyne Titanium frame set made in the 1970's.

Exxon Graftek 1978
1978-Exxon-Graftek.jpg

Teledyne Titan 1976
img_6476.jpg

ALAN Super Record
full.jpg

Pierre Caminade was building extremely light lugged aluminum bicycles in France starting in the 1930's
Caminargent_full2.jpg

All very much vintage exotic bicycles that set the stage for the next 40 years :D .

: Mike

Ah, I see. And that bottom one really is superb.

But I wish those Eroica chaps would allow pre 87 clipless pedals...

Back