What do do about stretched binder bolt lugs

scott_tracy

Retro Newbie
My MTrax Ti 3000s has welded on lugs for the seat post binder bolt. Over the years the steel around the 'ears' has stretched such that they meet well before the seatpost is adequately gripped. The second inherent flaw in this design is that as the gap closes it bends the binder bolt and eventually snaps it (I'm on to my third). I'm thinking I should file off the lugs and fit a conventional seat clamp, unless someone has a much better idea. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

It's the one that came with the bike and I've had it from new back in 1990. It's a 27mm diam post. Not that common nowerdays.

Plyers and bend each back by hand?
Yeah I did think about bending the lugs back. Would probably require something like a large and long allen key inserted into each individual bolt hole for sufficient leverage. However I think the problem would just recur as the metal would bend back. Might give that a go and see if it avoids more serious metal surgery on the lugs.

It's the one that came with the bike and I've had it from new back in 1990. It's a 27mm diam post. Not that common nowerdays.
Fair enough, should be the correct one then. I only ask as I've put a brazed on binder on most of the frames I've built and never had to horse them up to the point of stretching the binder/bending the bolt.

If the seattube has a straight cut end then at least you can use a clamp and there's a couple options for removal, cut and file or if it's brazed rather than welded you could have it de-brazed.

Cutting and filing can mean less paintwork damage (if you are careful) but is more labour intensive.

It is an easy enough job to replace with a new brazed on binder too, should you want to maintain the look of the frame.

Back