What did I pick up? Scapin XP MTB

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
Bought this of an older man in Haarlem (NL)
I was interested because it had Magura RaceLine Evolution rim brakes and an unidentified rock shox? front end.
Turns out (after googling for 30 minutes) it is a Scapin' -XP- it's too late to check for serial numbers.
I had never heard of it, but apparently it is an Italian made frame, I love the lugs on the bike. That's very rare for a mountainbike I reckon. Well maybe not the earlier ones, I don't know.
Hasn't got the original paintjob sadly.
R.S.P. Sealed hubs with Weinmann rims, weird bits and bobs like rear derailleur LX - front derailleur Altus -Cranks CODA - ZOOM stem - CODA handlebars.
A whole mishmash of things.

How can I check what the age is from the frame and the fork?

Can post more pics tomorrow if people want.

scapin large.jpg scapin -xp-.jpg

Last edited:
That frame deserves much nicer parts. I can't remember without checking whether 1991 or 1992 was the last year for MTB lugged frames, but the serial number will start with a letter that gives you the year. I would guess it is the last year or two before lugless as many of the earlier ones were u-brake.

The frame is repainted (obviously) the only original colour I saw online was chrome and black, then again I couldn't find alot about this particular XP one.
But it sure is a nice frame, it should have Columbus steel same as my g/f's Concorde MTB (1990)
I don't have any better parts, I'm thinking of putting all LX on it and sell it on the bay I guess.
The Maguras are younger then the bike I reckon. (95?)
This one is way to short for me, and still looking for a 22" GT frame which apparently is a damn pain in the ass to find.

Edit; These frames were made from 89 to 93 according to the interwebz.

The frame is repainted (obviously) the only original colour I saw online was chrome and black, then again I couldn't find alot about this particular XP one.
But it sure is a nice frame, it should have Columbus steel same as my g/f's Concorde MTB (1990)
I don't have any better parts, I'm thinking of putting all LX on it and sell it on the bay I guess.
The Maguras are younger then the bike I reckon. (95?)
This one is way to short for me, and still looking for a 22" GT frame which apparently is a damn pain in the ass to find.

Edit; These frames were made from 89 to 93 according to the interwebz.

I've seen them in different colours from different years. What size is the frame?

Do you have a link for that? I thought be 1993 it was the new model range, coinciding with tig-welded frames.

For some reason I searched for Scapin XT, also mention XT in the first post which I redacted.
And when searching for XP you will indeed find very different colour schemes.

The size is 47CM CC-CT (18.5") top tube is 57CM C-C (22.4")
Had the seat pen removed to see if it was stuck. It wasn't and it's a Kalloy, also seems original seeing the other pictures.
Headset is Modus which apparently were produced by VP Components who also did stuff for Cane Creek.
The Modus parts don't look very high end however.
Haven't gotten around to look at the serial or to figure out what fork is in there.

Pics from the Interwebz.

'92
Scapin xp Team 92.png

'91
Scapin XP 90_91.png

'89-'90
Scapin XP Pro Race 1989-90_01.png

Latest posts

Back