What cranks for 2008 Cannondale with BSA BB?

Rich-Ti

Dirt Disciple
I’m about to pick up an immaculate 2008 Cannondale SystemSix. Normally crank choice for such a bike would be easy: Cannondale = Si SL, right?

Except this one has a BSA BB.

I’m putting the limited edition SRAM Red black 10spd groupset on it, so matching cranks would be the easy solution - but I was looking to do something more interesting.

I’d love a set of Zipp Vuma Quad cranks, but the ones that have cropped up have knackered chain rings, and replacements are no longer available.

There’s a set of Zipp Vuka on fleaBay at the moment, but the price is a bit optimistic - especially with the USD>AUD exchange rate right now. Plus the Vukas are a little early to be ‘period correct’.

Similarly, I have a line on a complete set of original SweetWings cranks, but they’re a good 12yrs too early, despite being *very* cool.

Stronglight Pulsion or Vulcan suit the kind of style I’m chasing, but available options are silly prices (and the Pulsion used to break a lot so I’m reluctant to trust them).

Boone Twist appeal, and they’re now making them again - not retro, but at least interesting, and well priced Vs old/NOS stuff.

Any other ideas I’m missing?

Last edited:
No EE Wings in the mix? 😜

Of the options you've listed I actually really like the look of the Vulcan; the graphics are pretty ugly but the crank shape with the cutout is nifty.
Boone Twist are great looking too, definitely an eye catcher.

Have you considered any Rotor bits? I know they are pretty chunky/industrial so not to everyone's tastes.

No EE Wings in the mix? 😜

Of the options you've listed I actually really like the look of the Vulcan; the graphics are pretty ugly but the crank shape with the cutout is nifty.
Boone Twist are great looking too, definitely an eye catcher.

Have you considered any Rotor bits? I know they are pretty chunky/industrial so not to everyone's tastes.
I had a set of eeWings - *very* pretty, but not right for this bike.

The Vulcans are probably my favourite too, but the price is eye-watering for NOS (or even good condition used). I don't need them that badly!

Funny you should mention Rotor. I forgot I had a set of 3D24 cranks that I had previously sprayed to cover the graphics. I actually think they'll be just right - for the interim at least, if not longer term.

Oh also, was going to mention 5DEV. I've never seen them in the flesh but they look like very nicely made entries into the boutiquey CNC crank field. Bit heavier than any Wings though. 😁

Oh also, was going to mention 5DEV. I've never seen them in the flesh but they look like very nicely made entries into the boutiquey CNC crank field. Bit heavier than any Wings though. 😁
Damn, check those out! Not for this SystemSix, but that is an awesome looking set of cranks - they're the kind of thing I'd build a bike around...

Very nice, 10 speed Red is a great group. I have a final gen group on my Soloist which is a very similar age to your Cannondale!
The one thing to watch is the wear on the rear derailleur cage pivot pin. The retaining flange wears over time and can catastrophically fail. With mine I pressed out the pin and replaced it with the steel pin from a Force cage.

Latest posts

Back