WD Pro's Guide To Stripping & Rebuilding Ringle Holeys

Rebuild :

I presume that most people would have gone down this route / followed these instructions to get the components re anodised (as per the majority of this batch) but there is another option … :cool:

When you consider that these components have all been reconditioned from scratched / messed up levers :

Now they are in this condition, it would be very easy and take very little work to turn them into something like the ones I did for the bear valley with just a bit of polishing / elbow grease :

Based on late 2013 prices, using the worst two skewers I bought in this batch (where all the parts were reusable) and adopting these instructions, would give me a very nice looking set of skewers for just less than £30 and an outlay of about £10 on emory and polish … :cool: The £10 on emory and polish could also be used on other projects - my polish is 5+ years old and has about a third left :D (and it was mostly used on exhaust tips, not bike parts ;-) :LOL:).

Admittedly a good chunk of time and effort has gone into them but it’s a whole lot more satisfying and easier on the pocket than blowing mega £’s on a mint set … ;-)

Remember, be patient and be selective on what you buy or bid on :D

OK, so once you have sanded / polished / re anodised / measured / chopped etc everything can be rebuilt :D

This bit is very easy and if you have done a good job of all of the above processes, you will end up with great, new (better than new ?) looking skewers :cool:

Other than the obvious, there are only a few things to note that may help :D

Barrel orientation – I choose to put the barrels on with the face the was originally inside, facing the outside. In my opinion, this gives a neater appearance with a chamfered hole :D

Standard on the right (with standard skewer end), reversed barrel on the left (with brushed finish skewer end) :

Barrel fixing – If you are going to re centre pop, I would use the barrel in the standard orientation and put a dab of thread lock on the threads before assembly.

If you don’t want to centre pop (like me) use the barrel in reverse just with a dab of thread lock. I can’t see that this item will be more prone to coming loose than any other fixing on the bike but it’s your bike and your choice – don’t blame me if you don’t check the tightness regularly and you wheels fall off … :LOL: Ultimately it comes down to a simple visual check to ensure the thread isn’t backing off and disappearing back down into the thread bore of the barrel.

I used Loctite 243 (blue) which is a medium strength retainer but it can still be stripped down relatively easily if required (but it won’t ‘rattle’ loose with vibration). If you wanted a bit more security you could use Loctite 271 (red) which will keep the components together very well but could prove very difficult to strip down once cured (without the use of heat). Both products are easy to get hold of for the general public (I think mine came from Halfords ?).

Only after using the Loctite, lightly oil the lever to barrel interface and the lever to washer interface.

Coat the nut end of the threaded skewer section with copper slip / anti seize.

Add a new o ring onto the nut. I am not 100% sure of the original size (I think it is 11mm ID x 2.5mm wall), but the size that I used on the bear valley and looks good (a bit Shimano like 'chunky') is a 13mm ID x 3.0mm wall – this size should last well / better as they are not being stretched as much. Both sizes can be found easily and cheaply on eBay ;-) If you want to buy on the high street, Halfords do a selection box that contains a suitable size (where my first ones came from) and I ‘think’ they also do them in small bags but you will have to land lucky / do some searching to get a size that suits without measuring them first.

Wind the skewers up to tighten them, don’t force the lever closed like a traditional internal cam style quick release ;-)

On any strip down / wheel removal / wheel fitment, try to ensure the mating faces of the lever and washer are as clean, grit free and as lubricated as possible – the anodised finish will last much longer ;-)

Hopefully that all made sense and you now have a cool looking set of skewers (and much cheaper than buying A1 condition or NOS … :shock:) !

Let us know if you have any questions and the best feedback would simply be two pictures (one before and one after) tagged onto the end of this thread :cool:

Cheers,

WD :D

Spares :

Let’s face it, sometimes things are just past their best and can’t be salvaged … :-( Excessive damage or breakage is going to need some new parts … :-(

Don’t despair though, spares can be found for most parts of these skewers :D (The lever itself is the biggest problem though ...:-()

I will try to keep this list as up to date as possible, if anything changes with the people / suppliers mentioned I will update the list accordingly / as soon as I am notified :

·         Levers : Problem item – Better look after them ...
·         Wheel skewer nuts : Member = Vinevo / Thread = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=253848
·         Seat skewer nuts : Member = Vinevo / Thread = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=253848
·         Wheel skewer washers : Member = Vinevo / Thread = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=253848
·         Seat skewer washers : Member = Vinevo / Thread = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=253848
·         Ti M5 front wheel skewers : Member = elite504
·         Ti M5 rear wheel skewers : Member = elite504
·         Ti M6 seat skewers : Problem item - Could be made from a (fully threaded) modified Ti bolt or converted to stainless steel ?
·         Stainless steel M5 studding (For making wheel skewers) : eBay
·         Stainless steel M6 studding (For making seat skewers) : eBay
·         M5 barrel nuts (wheel skewers) : Problem item – I wouldn't expect them to be damaged / need replacing ?
·         M6 barrel nuts (wheel skewers) : Member = elite504
·         O rings : eBay
·         Anodising : Rampage / Intrincycle (Forum Sponsor)

These parts are from the links above (from Vinevo), silver = new / coloured = original (for comparison, all are spot on :cool:) :

M6 Barrels from elite504, stainless steel threaded rod from eBay :

Fresh anodising from Rampage / Intrincycle (forum sponsor) :

Excellent finish, perfect ... :cool:

Note that all these items were old / used items and I chose the worst items from the above refurb posts / pictures. Done in black as spares, the best / rest of the stuff and the new stuff is being saved to get done in purple at a later date ;-) :cool:

Excellent work! Do you know if you can buy new steel and/or titanium rods if needed?

Thanks!

Vinevo":34v1y7ft said:
Love the detail Peter, keep it up :D

Rio":34v1y7ft said:
Excellent work! Do you know if you can buy new steel and/or titanium rods if needed?

Thanks!

Thanks for the comments :D

I have actually wrote all the info but I am trying to play catch up with photos ...

Here's an extract from the 'skewer' section :

"If you are replacing damaged skewers or converting a front to a rear etc and your chosen material is stainless steel, just search eBay for ‘Stainless Steel M5 Studding’ or ‘Stainless Steel M5 threaded rod’ – remember its M6 for the seat clamps :D"

I have been lucky and picked two NOS sets of generic Ti rods on here, ones on the bear valley and the other will go on the yo :D

Watch this space (i.e. the 'spares' section of this thread), I am hoping to have some info on Ti rods soon ... ;-)

WD Pro":t10gzd29 said:
Watch this space (i.e. the 'spares' section of this thread), I am hoping to have some info on Ti rods soon ... ;-)

Thanks!

Back