Vitus 979 - build inspiration needed

Re:

Hi Rod, nice frame that.
I’ve got some Mavic which came off of a Peugeot-badged Vitus
Wheelset (500/1), crank, brakes, front mech.
Might match up well.
Cheers
Mat

I have a 1983 I believe the frame number on the bottom should be something like FXXXXXX the first 3 numbers indicate the date. So on mine for example it is F013 - Jan 1983. its what I read somewhere on another forum.

Mine is built up with Mavic, Stronglight and CLB

Something that confused me with that setup on the serial numbers, was didn't they make the 979 up to 1992? Or were there just pro racers still using them despite it being out of production?

Jonny69":1g58drc3 said:
Something that confused me with that setup on the serial numbers, was didn't they make the 979 up to 1992? Or were there just pro racers still using them despite it being out of production?

I could be wrong Brain fade setting in but ISTR production ceased 89/90 the ones after that were NOS + there were quite a few made in the production run that were never badged I know at the time Fangio team had a stock of some 30 no name frames

Rod_Saetan":pbhma79z said:
Those look great, I can't live with Tubs though, and I think Mat has me sorted out with most of the stuff I didn't realise I needed :)

Found this interesting Peugeot-centric article about the development of the 979 on my travels, interesting reading:

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... s-979.html

I know what you mean about tubs love em or hate em, firmly in the latter camp with you on that. Nicely put ;)

Interesting article will read more later :D

I remember an article years ago about a 979 with full Shimano 600 being displayed in an Art gallery....... Did look super cool displayed against a pure white wall :cool: :cool: :cool:

Re:

When I purchased my blue Vitus in 1987 I used the same vintage Dura Ace.
One of the things that made me rather unsure about the frame is that it came with instructions as to reglueing the frame if it became "unstuck".
Also mentions the use of olive oil in the frame to preserve the finish.

I really liked the look of them back in the 80’s and actually still do, however a mate of mine raced on one but was always having to glue it. Think he crashed it and ended up going back to a brazed frame with a great looking Cougar

Back