Vintage tubular sprint rims 50s 60s, any interest out there?

3wheeler7

rBotM Winner
Hi, I've acquired about 20 vintage 50s/60s tubular sprint rims and don't know if there's a market for them.
I can list them in the "for sales" but don't want to waste my time if they're unlikely to sell.
Good makes, Super Champion, Fiamme, Mavic etc. All are straight but have been hanging around for years.
What do you guys think?

I have taken them to cycle jumbles in the past . No one even looked at them !
I had even polished them up and removed most of the glue .
Some nice pairs of rims . Market seems very limited imho .
Even ones built up on quality hubs had little interest from buyers .

I'm usually on the lookout for stuff from the early 70's where "sprints and tubs" ruled the road :)

Well there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in old sprints - even on Ebay there's hardly any listed, can't say I surprised though as on all the ones with steel inserts look shocking when the inserts go rusty and I don't suppose there's much you can do about them.
I'll save my nice AVA non-insert ones as they came with my "managers special" RRA but to make the bike usable I rebuilt the wheels with some Weinmann 27 x 1¼s.
I think the rest will go to scrap to be honest, and I'll concentrate on selling stuff that people want!

As someone who runs a pre-50s bike with traditional 50s 32/40 sprint rims, they're spectacularly difficult to find when you need them, especially 32H fronts. Conversely, I have a couple of odd spares and I can't even give them away. Everyone says the same. I've tried to match them up as pairs but it's impossible to find them. They do literally go for £10-£12 per pair on eBay when they sell and the postage costs more than the rims.

You can't bin them, especially the 50s ones, they're so rare now. Any chance of a couple of pics of what you've got? I'm specifically looking for an early 50s 32H Scheeren rim so I could at least make a pair out of my orphaned 40H rear. I can't even remember now where it came from.

Hi, I'll get them all together next week (some are in a friends lock-up) and take some pics. You may be able to identify which, if any, are worth saving.

Hi all, I'm very interested in Fiamme sprints Brev. Longhi rims 36 holes....set or also one
Thanks for help me

Last edited:
Back