VeloCafe bike jumble, Brighton

Re:

I know him from waaaaay back, before he was a pro.
Not heard that particular tale though.

Re:

A seriously nice bunch down there, which reminds me, I think I owe them for a cake from this morning!

Matt has also been really good sorting some of my bikes for me.

Long may it last!

mrkawasaki":33qqzssr said:
I'm in Brighton next week - where is the cafe? What other bike-related destinations are recommended??

http://www.velo-cafe.co.uk/location/

Its about 1/2 mile inland from the Pier / seafront.

Depends on what biking you want really? there are a few bike shops nearby. If you are riding, there is Stanmer Park 4 miles away (Where they run the Brighton BigDog MTB race) or a few road loops around that take in Ditchling Beacon (used in the recent Tour of Britain). There is also the South Downs way and the seafront also has about 6-7 miles of cyclepaths on it.

20 mile easy bike ride from Velo Cafe on Sat AM (or take a run with Brighton Mitre, which is fast 50-60miles). Or, 30 - 40 mile ride on Sunday, medium. (all road).

OR, if you have the time, no doubt Coffee meet-up could be arranged or a bike ride.

Most of the towns Bike shops are within 5-10 mins walk from there.

Let us know if you have anything in mind and we'll see if anything suits.

Went over to The Level a couple of times with the family. The cycle presence was pretty minimal in the cafe with 3 token bikes strung from the ceiling - not a patch on say Mud Cafe, Bristol. lThe 4 years old was in heaven at the playground (the best I've seen) but that was trumped by his first view of skateboarding in the park - he was transfixed. He demanded that we go back and get his scooter from the car - we returned the next day (leaving a nervous mother to go shopping) to glide around the more gentle slopes getting in the way of some frustrated tricksters. Watching the bikeriders in the pool was impressive and tempting to try, but at 54 I suspect it'd end badly...

I noticed a local bikeshop had a NOS pair of Tange ShockBlades in the window - might be worth a cheeky offer.

Was that Strudwick Cycles? I've walked past a few times and wondered what was inside, they had a nos caloi frame in the window a few weeks back

I know what you mean about it not being very 'bikey' but there are loads of rides from there, they have a workshop in there and lots of events for the local cycling community too - like the Big Dog afterparty and their own version of Spin Up in a Brewery. The guy who runs a lot of the bike stuff and who does the spannering in the workshop is Matt Carr, who has been in world teams for Trek, USPS and Volvo Cannondale, always good for a laugh and a chat about bikes.

If none of that takes your fancy you can just drink coffee, eat cake and check out the MILFs that seem to congregate there!

Back