V-brake bolts swap

Terry_hill

Dirt Disciple
Just a quick question but does anyone know if I'm gonna kill myself by swapping my vbrake mounting bolts for Alloy ones (from pro bolt) as the bike is getting an overhaul and I'm thinking about swapping all the bolts for red.

The bike will only be used for the mile or so commute to and from work so nothing too strenuous.

Although titianium or steel is better in such an application I have not had any problems using alloy mounting bolts with vees. May be slightly more problematic if you used alloy bolts for clamping cables (particularly as they can break if over-tightened).

I personally wouldn't risk them on the front as the braking force is pushing on the bolt heads. On the back would be fine though.

Another Option

If you are going for alloy for colour go to tidynuts

You can get Ti in the right size and with dome or tapered heads they'll look amazing

Not cheap though about a fiver each

You should not use alloy or even stainless for high torque/safety critical applications

EG:

Brake pivots
Fork Crown/braces
Cranks

Cos they lack the necessary tensile strength to be safely relied upon, though you will probably get away with it, don't do it

I thought the tensile strengths of stainless steel and carbon steel were quite similar, and that titanium (at least the 6-4 sort) was also pretty similar....whilst aluminium alloys had about the half the tensile strength. Am I missing something ?

One thing to watch for is the bolt head diameter. I replaced all mine with SS items a few years back and failed to notice the flange on the SS bolt heads were marginally smaller in diameter than the original bolts. They held for a good while until one steep loose rock section at the side of Loch Etive :shock:

DSCF2215.jpg

The brake arm separated at the pivot and slid over the bolt

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Just found this thread from the other :LOL:

That job you have done on the brake is well cool :shock: :cool: glad I made big washers for mine now, but I had never considered them doing that ...

WD :D

It was lucky. The brake arm actually separated from its inner sleeve (the bit that fits directly over the fork mounted pivot). The sleeve stayed on the pivot but the arm and return spring went flying. Fortunately managed to find the spring and could put the thing back together with a bodged washer (supplied by The Ken :p ).

Otherwise would have been without front brake for the remaining 40 or so miles :D

Back