Upgraded the rear mech to XTR for a big weight saving!

Roasted

Kona Fan
I needed to shorten the cables so decided to upgrade the rear mech at the same time.

Original mech was an XT M750. Always been happy with XTs performance and it looks good, but there's something a bit special about XTR.

After a few minutes I had them swapped over but not before I weighed them both to marvel at the massive weight saving, not that I'm a huge weight weenie, and it was just 1g. Just 1 measly gram.

20220514_183241~2.JPG

20220514_181447~2.JPG

Yes, the XT has alloy bolts, but still would've thought the XTR was going to be a fair bit lighter. Still, bet the shifting is amazing, not that the XT ever disappointed me.

So now I'm looking for a matching M952 shifter and a red alloy bolt for the XTR to go with the bikes colour scheme, but the bolts are really hard to find these days.

Xtr m952 is my fave retro groupset. Shifting is awesome, it looks great and imho, unlike modern xtr it is robust and built to last, not just for a season or so of use (not that I've ever done such a thing, but you read about it). It may not be super light, certainly the rear mech based on your weight comparison, but that's a good thing as too much weight loss equates to wearing out faster.

Not that I'm complaining as I have bikes wearing m970 and m980, and as I don't race, it lasts and looks great on a bike.

That XT will be better or the same shifting, it's a newer one and trickled down tech. Hence the cage and everything is very similar, just modernised styling (and a cheaper cage fixing setup)
And a lack of Ti bolt for hanging it and probably worse jockey wheels, the XTR original are really nice.

Which red bolt do you want? Hanger or jocky?

I'm after the hanger bolt, but I wouldn't mind black. I also want to get some jockey wheel bolts, but they're easier to find.

Swap it for the XT one?
Probably the same fit.

I was considering that but want to use the XT on a red frame. I think a black bolt would look good on the XTR to keep it stealth. Back in the day, the bike shops had loads SRP bolts for sale on the counter, but you never see them any more. There must be loads of NOS stuff sat in a box somewhere.

Still swapping a nice hollow Ti bolt out for a bulky Alu bolt...
Or at least I think they kept them Ti for M952

You could have saved all that grief swapping mechs around if you'd simply farted. You would have expelled at least a gram of methane in an instant for no expense and little effort

Back