Updated !! 1985 Mercian TT - New Saddle & Levers Pic

Re: 1985 Mercian TT

Matt_wood55":1t5yqeuw said:
I am thinking brown Rolls saddle and brown bar tape to match on this. Thoughts?

Worth trying for sure, the only sticking point might be the white hoods with brown? always found that to be a combination that doesn't quite gel. White contact points all round would be my first choice though. Really need to stop ogling your bike - the urge to get a Mercian is strong :facepalm:

FINNEY1973":1hb92y4z said:
Matt_wood55":1hb92y4z said:

Worth trying for sure, the only sticking point might be the white hoods with brown? always found that to be a combination that doesn't quite gel. White contact points all round would be my first choice though. Really need to stop ogling your bike - the urge to get a Mercian is strong :facepalm:

I was about to buy my first carbon bike to try and shave a few seconds off my TT times this summer, then I went into Tesco, flicked through the classifieds in Cycling weekly and saw an ad for the Mercian. Carbon and PB's are on the shelf for another year now!! I think you could be right about the hoods, hadn't thought of that.

Cheers

P.S. I see you are in Notts - if you ride out to West Leake where Beeston and Long Eaton hold TT's through the summer you will see the bike getting some use (unless it's wet)

Matt_wood55":1r94d16g said:
FINNEY1973":1r94d16g said:
Matt_wood55":1r94d16g said:

I was about to buy my first carbon bike to try and shave a few seconds off my TT times this summer, then I went into Tesco, flicked through the classifieds in Cycling weekly and saw an ad for the Mercian. Carbon and PB's are on the shelf for another year now!! I think you could be right about the hoods, hadn't thought of that.

Cheers

P.S. I see you are in Notts - if you ride out to West Leake where Beeston and Long Eaton hold TT's through the summer you will see the bike getting some use (unless it's wet)

I'm contemplating sellling my first carbon bike so I can fund a Mercian :D That's got to be the best Tesco inspired purchase ever, fate perhaps? I'd be so bold to say that the Mercian could deliver a PB???

West Leake that's over Rempstone way? That's one of my main routes - let me know when your riding, I'll bob down and see the action.

Re: 1985 Mercian TT - New Saddle & Levers Pic

That works very nicely actually - I'd keep the white bartape. I'd say that's job done, and the first entry for February RBOTM!

FINNEY1973":2t4pfo1f said:
That works very nicely actually - I'd keep the white bartape. I'd say that's job done, and the first entry for February RBOTM!
I can't afford to change the tape!! The gear cable outer on the rear mech cost £20 - one of those Campag steel ones!!

Matt_wood55":1a760mqg said:
FINNEY1973":1a760mqg said:
I can't afford to change the tape!! The gear cable outer on the rear mech cost £20 - one of those Campag steel ones!!

but that's what makes the bike top notch - it's all in the detail.

Absolutely stunning bike!!! Lovely job on the paintwork in the lugs! Has that been recently re-done by Mercian or is it original paint??

t_p87":1ecbazo0 said:
Absolutely stunning bike!!! Lovely job on the paintwork in the lugs! Has that been recently re-done by Mercian or is it original paint??
Hello

Thanks for the comments. Respray was done by Argos. Mercian were asked to braze on a gear lever boss and hanger for the front mech and do a respray, but they said it wasn't possible as it's 753. Agros had no issue doing the braze ons (they are a 753 approved builder etc) so they did the respray as well.

Still toying with switching to black hoods and brown tape!!

Cheers
Matt

2036335_o.gif

Back