Unusual late 80's or early 90's MBK Trainer 54cm

gordonmarkus

Retro Newbie
Hi,

In order to fund another restoration project I've decided to sell this very cool and unusual (I think anyway!) MBK trainer.

The frame size is 54cm top tube and 54cm down tube.

Overall the frame is in excellent condition, there are a few marks on it as you'd imagine for a bike of this age but there's no rust that I've seen. I bought the bike from the South of France, so the warm & dry climate there has helped to preserve it I think! The orginal shop sticker is still in place too.

The bike has pretty much had a complete mechical overhaul recently with new cables throughought, tyres, bar tape & toe straps. The wheels run true and the bearings are nice and smooth. I've not replaced the BB, but this is also running smoothly so didn't feel the need to swap it, likewise with the headset.

As you'll see from the pics it's a very clean bike that's been well looked after. In terms of specification the frame is MBK's 707 internal butted tubing which I do think looks very nice as the visible weld lines are thinner than on a traditionally butted frame. The frame does have some nice features too which is that the rear brake cable is hidden under the top tube in a recess, and the seat clamp bolt is integral to the frame between the seatstays and the seat tube. The fact that the forks are crownless makes me think that this might be an early 90s bike rather than late 80s as I have another MBK which was from '89 and that has crowned forks. Feel free to share your knowledge if you know about this!!

It's fitted with the original Shimano Exage 300 groupset which inludes the Biopace 52/40 chainset (like Q rings but older :) !!) It's a 7 speed cassette on the back which I believe is a 13-23 so if you live somewhere hilly you'll need big legs or to maybe replace the cassette with something more friendly!

I've never seen anyone else riding one of these, and it does attract quite a bit of interest. I've certainly enjoyed riding and working on it at least!

I'm asking £275 for it, as I don't think I've ever seen another one quite like this for sale and I personally think it's worth it. Hopefully someone else will too!

Here's some pics if you're interested:

Thanks for looking.

-Gordon

Back