unnacceptable comments made in november issue of mbr.....

mattbrown":1zx2f0n9 said:
i totaly agree, but why was i reading your email, in a manner similar of a Jane Austin novel....

I read a touch of P G Woodehouse in it. I felt compelled to summon Jeeves to bring forth my monocle and smoking jacket.

Pip pip what.

Tinkety tonk.

Don't want to stir, but without seeing the ebay add how can we comment.. for example..

For Sale - XT rear Mech, sold as seen...

If that was all it said, I would want to ask the seller a question or two before I bought it!

Buyer beware and all that shiz.. especially on ebay!

On the othe hand, you would expect more from someone in his position.. I hope MBR isn't going to get all lads mag like MBUK did a few years ago!

I feel a Sell Your Old Tat on Ebay Because Some Plonker Will Buy It Rant coming on, but really must restrain meeself. Agree totally the guy shouldn't pontificate about this in a cycling magazine and portray all Olde Worlde Buyers as dorks - which he tries to do...... :roll:

But the auction site is a fickle place - I've sold old tat (not cycling related) that collectors in Japan and USA have paid hugely OTT for. Real Tat which I paid nothing for and would have ordinarily chucked out, stuff which had followd us around from house to house. One of those items (again strictly not cycling related) went for over a grand (GBP) which I was totally gobsmacked about :shock: :shock: :shock:

Other things i've valued highly have gone for buttons :cry:

Its a funny marketplace.

Anyway - MTBR shouldn't have published that story - so there :D

...well boys,they printed my letter with a full apology....apparently it was all a joke,they still have the mech and pics to prove it!!

feetabix":gytjdc0a said:
...well boys,they printed my letter with a full apology....apparently it was all a joke,they still have the mech and pics to prove it!!

:LOL: yeah, ok, I believe em

Haven't read the full thread, but perhaps MTBR were just trying to illustrate just how bad eBay really is. That being said, I haven't bought a bike magazine in almost 14 years. A decent stretch away from the sport coupled with the inception of the internet means there are far more reliable ways of finding out about the latest tech.

Can't deal with the ammount of ads to be honest. And just how honest are the journalists who write for these magazines, when huge companies can just... cough, slip 'em a few quid.

End of rant

Back