unnacceptable comments made in november issue of mbr.....

feetabix

Retrobike Rider
....i have just received my copy of the november issue of mbr,i was rather dissapointed to read comments in the mag of a member of staff selling a damaged rear mech on ebay under the umbrella of `sold as seen`and going on to gloat at his deception,calling the buyer a sucker!!.....i found it particularly distateful given the general air of goodwill that pervades our hobby.......below is a copy of my email......i would be interested to hear your views and should you feel strongly enough you too can send in your thoughts to mbr@ipcmedia.com.......

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am normally a quiet voice amongst our wonderful but fringe sport, however I feel a strong desire to express my dissatisfaction at comments made on page 50 of the November edition of your magazine.

In the end of term review of his lapierre 314, Andy Waterman describes bending a damaged bike component back into shape using a vice and then selling the component to an unsuspecting person on eBay, this despite the fact that the person has no opportunity to see the item before purchase and that the item is in Mr. Waterman’s words doing a very poor job. The article then continues on to call this person a sucker!

I was genuinely amazed to see such a long running and unbiased publication as yours allow such arrogant and boastful behaviour. Such actions are selfish and can only lead to another person within the mountain biking community wasting money in a year of `austere penny pinching`.

Are these not the very people we see and speak to out on the trails, strangers united by a common love of cycling? ...Why would Mr. Waterman take pleasure in ripping off this person in such a way? ….He may even be a reader of your magazine!!

I too advocate reasoned behaviour when dealing with our sports long running access issues, and maintenance of relations with other countryside users. I flinch at reports of people using facilities at trail centres around the country and not paying the voluntary charges requested to allow ongoing maintenance to take place. Such reports are published to highlight self centred and mercenary behaviour and to encourage those responsible to think of the consequences of their actions….I rather fear your publication has fallen upon its own sword.

I contact you as a committed mountain bike rider for the past twenty years and long term subscriber to your magazine. I hope my correspondence will prompt a little reflection from those concerned regarding the above matter.

Yours faithfully,

Darren Edwards.

Quite agree .... Thats pretty shocking :shock:

I am very suprised it got published? :?

I've never bought MBR but I certainly have no intention of doing so now.
I find it completely unnacceptable that someone would do that and for a member of staff to publish the fact and laugh about it really is the height of arrogance.

I'm surprised the comment wasn't edited out before going into print.

The standpoint of the writer is unforgiveable.
But....
Where was the editor in all of this?

i totaly agree, but why was i reading your email, in a manner similar of a Jane Austin novel....

mattbrown":21ubzxcc said:
i totaly agree, but why was i reading your email, in a manner similar of a Jane Austin novel....
.....i felt the more serious nature of my concerns required a certain eloquence in order i may command an appropriate level of attention.....innit....

i cant belive this guy still has a job if i was editor that would be an on the spot redundancey given out to that GROWN MAN or should i say person of low moral standing

i still cant belive a cyclist would do this let alone a serious one and a writer for a serious mtb magazine then write about it its typical of the new generation :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back