Univega Alpina 501 - Project hiatus!

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thought i'd begin a new build thread and introduce my Univega Alpina 501. This is one of a number of frames that i've got in the garage awaiting some tlc at the moment and because it's probably going to be the cheapest to rebuild, it's going to be my winter project :D

It's a 1995 double-butted steel frame in Titanium Matte (according to BikePedia !) and measures approx 17.5" centre to centre (19" to top of seat tube). Won it on ebay for 20 quid ! I was hoping that it wouldn't need much attention to the paint work but it really is in need of a respray.

Interesting down tube which is ovalised at both ends but vertical at the top and horizontal at the bottom ! Think i'm going to have trouble finding a decent seat post because it's 26.0 and i've been looking around for a while now without success !

The frame has been cleaned up a bit and a load of old stickers removed. Came with a knackered headset and an LX front mech which i've salvaged in good order. Also been collecting a few parts recently such as saddle, bars, cantis, brake levers, headset etc. All with a Ritchey bias. Will post pics soon.

PC130001.jpg

PC130003.jpg

PC130004.jpg

PC130005.jpg

PC130006.jpg

PC130008.jpg

PC130010.jpg

So after the xmas break I will be sending her off to get powder coated. What colour though :? Was thinking of a similar grey or a complete change: maybe a stronger and brighter colour such as a dark red ? Also going to contact Gil_m for possible sticker set.

Anyway, that's for the future. Aiming to finish in early spring with some period parts. Possibly XT groupset (M739 ?).

Cheers for now.

Steve.

>

Cool. That would make a terrific workhorse. I like my Univega 502... if only it was a size 18" instead of 20". It has the bi-oval tubes as well.

I think a stone grey powdercoat would look good, but it's up to you.

Univega used the same frame for all its models, so although a 501 is the entry model, its the same as the 508,etc

Yes. Roughly for example:
500 - acera with alivio rear
502 - alivio with stx rear
504 - stx with lx rear
506 - lx with xt rear
508 - xt

All same db 9/6/9 frame. Later ones were 8/5/8 i think

Looking forward to seeing this build, I love Univegas.

Google 26.0 Push seatpost, I bought one a bit back for my Saracen, very nice Ritchey style post.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I suppose I could get away with calling the finished bike a 508 then if I kit it out with XT kit ;) Bit naughty though !

That seat post looks good so may grab one. The only other was a Kalloy one but the Push one looks way better. Cheers for that :cool:

If you are interested I have a pretty immaculate 500 complete with Panaracer Smoke and Darts that I have owned from new and never really ridden as it is too big for me - 22"

Would pretty well give you all the parts you need...

Back