Uniglide/Hyperglide Questions

As a long term Uniglide user, I think I need to know the answer to this once and for all. Last time round I got lucky and found a NOS Uniglide hub and cassette.

I've bought a Hyperglide hub to see how it goes on, what dust cap (?) / spacer needs changing etc.

Re:

Just to update this. Bought a NOS early hyperglide body with the uniglide and hyperglide threading to give me the option to put the old cassette back on if I had problems. 7speed 13-30 HG cassette on and just enough clearance to the chain stay for it to all work. Currently running friction shifting until a 1051 downtube shifter turns up for 7speed indexing but all working well. The short cage 1050 RD just about handles the 30t cassette although there's not much clearance to the guide pulley when in the little ring. I could possibly lose a link from the chain to improve matters a touch but I'll wait and see how it shifts indexed.

Rich

legrandefromage":1kp5y336 said:
Shimano 6spd dt shifters do well with 7spd cassettes
My 6-speed Exage ones have an extra click. Is the spacing the same between 6 and 7 gears, but derailleur limits need to be further apart to accommodate the extra gear?

Yes, just adjust to suit and off you go. Currently have some 7spd running 8 and some 6spd running 7 - breaking all da roolz!

Shimano '6spd' derailleurs will happily index to 9spd cassettes with the right chain and shifters

Re:

The derailleur works fine but the indexing on the shifter doesn't work right with the biggest gear on the cassette. Can either set it so it won't climb on to that one or won't fall off it but not both. Got a 7speed lever on the way anyway.

Rich

Just tested the 6spd and no issues with the 7spd cassette they are working with - all indexing nicely. Its only Shimano that do the extra clicks and spacing, Suntour dont usually have the reach

Back