Underrated or under the radar marques?

otherself":2mhf7ela said:
pigman":2mhf7ela said:
otherself":2mhf7ela said:
- Atala (I got an 80's Columbus Aelle frame for 45 quid...I'm sure if it was a Colnago it would of sold for several hundreds)
colnago wouldn't have made one in Aelle. and theirin lies the answer. If you buy a vintage colnago, you are assured of columbus SL and upwards. good brand frames that make cheapies will always be devalued.
Aelle, zetec, oria, Falk etc are just glorified gas pipers.

Having said that colnagos are over rated and a bit of a cliche.

I think Aelle is hardly gaspipe; its chrome-manganese drawn to a constant 0.8mm thickness and a frame weight of 2.2kg, which puts it well above Hi-Tensile "gaspipe" tubesets, which have tubes typically above 1.3mm thickness and weigh in excess of 2.9kg.

My Aelle tubed bike is pretty light: 20lbs with high-mid range groupset. Yes its a low end tubeset but that doesn't mean its rubbish.

have to agree with this,but I think it is more important how the tubes are joined and the design of a frame which make it a good bike.oria also made some very good tubing ,if it was good enough for moser it is good enough for most people

i saw a merckx 501 on the bay not so long ago £200 i was tempted but thought did em take an active roll in a 501 or was it a rebadged import or a fake ? ive heard oria tubing is prone to rust easily, is this true ??

Great thread. Ive only been riding for road bikes for the last 5 years or so but have come to like these more obscure but imo great quality brands.. Batavus, Adorni, Peracinni, Fondriest, RIH, Diamant, Koga Miyata, Gazelle, Concorde, Zieleman, Daccordi, Zeus, Atala, Clemenso, Benotto. Definetly loads i have forgotten, keep finding new builders and companys everyday!

Clemenso! I forgot about them. I had a Clemenso bike that had been converted to single speed. Always rode really nicely, until it got nicked from the station.
They were originally called Hercka - they made some really nice bikes too.

Oh, and Paganini/Plum Vainqueur could go on the list too.

Akema":bwhzksjx said:
Great thread. Ive only been riding for road bikes for the last 5 years or so but have come to like these more obscure but imo great quality brands.. Batavus, Adorni, Peracinni, Fondriest, RIH, Diamant, Koga Miyata, Gazelle, Concorde, Zieleman, Daccordi, Zeus, Atala, Clemenso, Benotto. Definetly loads i have forgotten, keep finding new builders and companys everyday!

thats a lot of bikes .were they all the same size ? please excuse a tangent to your topic 'o self'
what were your favourite handling ones Akema ? and why do you think this was so ? :cool:
its such a great topic. to have something affordable good handling yet obscure is right up my street.

Back