uncommon leMond. $1200.sold.

royaloaker

Devout Dirtbag
Reynolds 853,55 c-c x 56 tt,110 stem,45mm bars, very similar to the Zurich model 1999 year,paint work by the Trek factory, dura ace 7700 9 speed,Mavic front hub,shimano 600 rear,dt spokes,AERO tubular Mavic mach 2 cd rims,will need tires as the Continentals(not pictured) have been in storage.silver dura ace 7800 cranks installed not the ultegra's in photo.was purchased from the 3rd owner as a frameset & built with various d/a components.following is a quote from the second owner-I am the third owner. "The lemond was painted in the Merckx orange for a team called the poodle and grouse society and was established exclusively with Greg lemond and a few others at trek. This frame and color scheme was all custom. The official name was the Gentlemen’s Poodle & Grouse Society. It was a exclusive band of former racers and people who knew Greg personally. The connections go something like this.

Tom Schuler was an Olympic cyclist on 1980 team and one of the original members of Team 7-Eleven. He went on to start and manage Team Saturn, Volvo-Cannondale Mountain bike team, etc. He is close friends with Greg Lemond. Lemond supplied Team Saturn their race bikes for most of Saturn's existence. In fact I have a full Titanium Lemond Frame from the 2000 team that I ride in California.

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/a ... f887a.html

Saturn was run in southeastern Wisconsin by a company called Team Sports Inc. I have close personal friends from Team Sports so I’ve had the good fortune of getting to know many of the good souls of cycling from this time. Tim Swift was a pro on Saturn Cycling and a friend of mine - and whose bike this was (I bought it from him-I don’t think he rode it much in the year he had it). When he left cycling, he lived in the Milwaukee area and along with a few of my other friends started a small “club” of fast friends one of whom is head of marketing at Trek. Over the years, the ‘club’ has morphed and and changed and in part lives on today in the Hollander Benelux Racing (HBR) team of which I am a member and race director http://www.hollandercycling.com. if you look at the roster you will see a couple ex-pros, like Tommy Matush, Jeff Bradley (other 7-eleven members).

If you google Gentlemen s Poodle Grouse Society you will see the team name in some Wisconsin events run by Team Sports inc - many of whom are current team members of HBR. This bike was built and painted by Lemond (Trek) in the late 90’s for the Gentlemen s Poodle & Grouse Society and a handful were made. I have one of them. I have debated giving it up because I don’t need the money but it is just sitting around in my basement. It deserves to be ridden and enjoyed." end of quote.
p5pb12203706.jpg

Attachments

• lemond team.jpg
    lemond team.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 796
Re: uncommon leMond. $1200.

Well, as a fan and owner of 5 Lemonds that is certainly something different that I've never encountered before. I just picked up one of the Billato built Lemond GLX's in Team Gan colors. If not for that recent purchase we'd be talking. Good luck with the sale!

Back