BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
I'm after a pair of tyres, and advice too! I'll be starting my first road build thread on here soon, with a bike from 1993. I'd like to finish it off with a nice pair of period correct tyres. My memory from back then is pretty woeful, especially as the road bikes were second to my MTBs at the time :oops: Can anyone make some recommendations of some period correct amberwalls. If you've got some for sale even better!

Thanks, Adrian

I’m sure there will be other opinions and it depends if you’re going to ride it in anger. Also are you after actual tyres of the period or ones that look like them, and what width are you after? Retro road tend to be narrower.

Personally I wouldn’t ride old/Nos tyres on the road on a road bike. I’m perfectly happy doing it on mountain bikes as I think there’s a bit more room for error and less speed involved. I’m also perfectly happy to have some with tyres that are just for looking at! On a road bike running at probably over 100psi I wouldn’t want to risk it. Others may have a different view but that’s just me. I guess some would say that tubs are an exception to this and get better with age, I haven’t tested that myself.

I do have a pair of boxed amber wall NOS Specialized turbo, super skinny 19c they do look ok but don’t feel as supple as new tyres.

1ABF9B62-BE27-4A67-AF5E-A146254ACF08.jpeg CD406EA2-16BD-4B75-A016-72271B2F72F4.jpeg

Thanks for the reply, they look just lush. Knowing me it won’t see a lot of use but if that changes I’d happily change the tyres. For the initial build I’d like something period correct though. Would they be for sale?

Awesome! I’ll PM you later if that’s ok?

Back