ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Any help appreciated
What type of bolt would I need if I want to replace the normal bolts on an LX front mech with Ti gold ones? Being the cable clamp bolt, clamp bolt and the two limit screws ?
Cheers

Clamp bolts are M5, not sure off hand about the limit screws, probably M3. I know they have an odd Japanese cross-head format which isn't Phillips or Pozi (which is why they round off).

JIS cross-heads have a sharper point than Phillips or Pozi, they're much closer to Reed & Prince (Fearson) fittings. JIS bits will always fit a Phillips head but a Phillips will often round out a tight JIS screw because Phillips bits and screws werre designed to cam-out when tight to stop fasteners stripping threads from ally fittings in the early years of the aero industry. JIS screw heads often have a dot marked head.

JIS cross-heads have a sharper point than Phillips or Pozi, they're much closer to Reed & Prince (Fearson) fittings. JIS bits will always fit a Phillips head but a Phillips will often round out a tight JIS screw because Phillips bits and screws werre designed to cam-out when tight to stop fasteners stripping threads from ally fittings in the early years of the aero industry. JIS screw heads often have a dot marked head.
Thanks
I guess the limit screws can be bought ?

Get the Allen version of them, even the limit screw to make them look tarty, though they can be Alu for increased weight reduction. (all of them can be in theory, they don't do a lot on a front mech.)

What model LX?

I have all mine bar the clamp being Alu, clamp is Ti.

Edit best way to find out as you get length as well is use Shimano document.
Assuming M560
Clamp M5x16
Limit M4x12
Cable M5x8.5 but you also have the washer and nut to think about and replace.
Guide, no idea of the guide or top of my head.

Last edited:
If you use grubs for the limits you loose the plastic insert.
Also remember thread lock. Just the one that holds it in place but breaks with a bit of rotation force. Number? I forget...

Last edited:
Get the Allen version of them, even the limit screw to make them look tarty, though they can be Alu for increased weight reduction. (all of them can be in theory, they don't do a lot on a front mech.)

What model LX?

I have all mine bar the clamp being Alu, clamp is Ti.

Edit best way to find out as you get length as well is use Shimano document.
Assuming M560
Clamp M5x16
Limit M4x12
Cable M5x8.5 but you also have the washer and nut to think about and replace.
Guide, no idea of the guide or top of my head.
Thanks
M571 was the mech I’m looking at

Back