Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1, now Racing Sidekick :S

MK1 build or MK2 build?

• Mk1

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Mk2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Re: Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1, now Racing Sidekick

Not everyone knows, but I've already got one Ba57ards, off your good self Tony! :D I'd followed my style of patiently collecting parts when its a good time and I'm closing in on having all the tricky parts for my DisPlay, watch that space! :D Mindmap, you need that last spare one?
I think we need a meet and ride of our DisPlays, to well out Niche the Fat Bike movement!

The fleet is a bit silly, will have to let a few items go in 2014...
Equally some builds and upgrades of my long hoarded projects...

In good recent news, If, and If I've got yesterdays impuse order right I should have some nice forks for the Omen so just collecting a few more bits now. Could be the first New year build. will prob start a new thread. looking at mix n match build with 8 gears...

Trailstar news, ordering a spoke key as the old skool D521's need a little tweak, prob still need some V levers too, will prob use in stock tyres...

Really like this build, I think the Trailstar is a classic bike as it blazed a trail for the jump bike/freeride thing that we're all used to today. Very versatile :)

That Omen is going to be a hoot, need to see some pics of that build when it's finished :)

Thanks Neil, you are right this was there at the beginning, the bike that wasn't going to break and buck you off when clowning and hopping around, unlike the fragile and unweildy XC trail bikes back then. I was out of biking when this came out but this is the bike that would have kept me MTBing just few years late for me. But you're absolutely right, hardcore or do it all hard tails are taken for granted these days.

I'm going through a frustrating time. I have loads of bikes in bits now and unfinished! Too many too! I had a go truing the rear wheel but all I've done is tighten spokes, might get a LBS to take a look. Then I have everything to get it going. Then got lots of bits for the Omen so new thread for that soon once I get chance. :) cheers.

Was gonna get some proper pics for you readers but as it's still not proper finished, have this quick fix shakedown pic! (if you can see it?)
1920598_10151878280690706_1633928597_n.jpg

It feels nice like this, though for my height playing with Wing bars as an idea and the tyre @ 2.1 is skinny in those fat forks, which by the way should really take a 10mm nutted axle... hmm??? and the rear needs a nutted axle and tensioner. hmmm so I'm running out of motivation so may shelve it till the Omen is built. It rides great though as a spritely straight forward 'bike'! :D pretty good for it's age. I've used Dia tech V brakes and and for drier stuff should be a great toy. nice and retro, distinctive and not too posh to go to shop on...

Hope you like progress report. any ideas on the issues shoot. :)

So in Feb March time i was fiddling about with parts like a rise 70mm Azonic copy stem...
March I had a nasty road accident on my commuter crossing a road, fell in to/collided with a taxi, busted my shoulder up and mentally had some dark months. :(

Anyway, i tinkered some more recently, dabbled with amberwall street tyres (already in stock and light), and colour coded spacer, V12's etc
buddies were out last night so I joined up for a double shake down! I've never been so nervous on a bike, instantly felt great though, smooth rode from tyres and fresh gearing. chanced the local trails. much slower than i used to be but thats part worry of landing on my arm and part street tyres slipping.
Anyway have some pics till i wash it and get a bit Artier...

Any comments? particularly on the Amber wall Supermoto's?

Looks pretty good mate.

It's amazing how much a crash can play on your mind as you get older. I just used to shrug stuff off as a young 'un. I'm still being a girl after my big off a few months ago! Getting there, but still a bit cautious.

Thanks :) I'm still undecided on that stem and those amber walls!

Yeah, it's true some things are harder the older you get. Being a road accident it's not been good psychologically. I sort of wash it had been an MTB accident but then I bet that's a horror in itself being in the woods somewhere. Everything gets weighed up when you are older and more to be responsible for, including my then 5 month old daughter. :-/
At one point I thought I'm not going to use all these bikes even when I'm well so now I can use none! I did ponder selling many bits and pieces, reality was I didn't have the strength to physically haul the bits about! Getting me mojo back, been gathering some bits to complete some unfinished business so keep an eye out for some overdue builds, then I will work out what I should sell. Been half assed trying to sell that TS2 even though it is still "in storage" haha any takers?

Re:

The last pic was a sneaky one ya cheeky raver. There's no need to change the Stem or Sidewalls if you're only going to use if for dry days. It felt really stiff in comparison to my Intense, due to the lack of suspension and did ride well. Although a little too short for me, I don't know how you get on as you're much taller. Keep it as it is for the moment, at least it's built and crack on with some of the other builds you've got in the pipeline. Dare I name them?

Kind Regards

Liam

Latest posts

Back