Tushingham Resource Pool

Re: Re:

Andy T":24l0x15n said:
sinnerman":24l0x15n said:

Early one with the early decal and cable routing on the downtube.
Interesting stem.

Where did you find that one?

It was posted a long time ago care of Augustus.

Re:

Bicycle action magazine March 1988

cxSeQMxh.jpg

XVNJRZFh.jpg

A great read, but the most important part for me was January edition.

Ive been waiting two decades for that article to surface, someone somewhere must have it surely....?

Hi,
Following the "introduce myself" post, here's the bike I like to talk to you ...

I was looking for a average/utility bike to go 2 times per week on a new 'proxy' site for my work. I don't want to buy a too much low/entry level bike, and I don't want to use my regular MTB (too much inconfortable with its alu frame and a wishbone) nor one of the old Sunn I own (magnet for thieves and too sporty)
During one month I missed some interesting bikes, because in Paris more and more people use it daily, and good ones sell fast. But last saturday, I was the first to contact the seller of an old, unbranded but apparently good model. Fitted with thumbshifter like my first MTB, and with a rear Deore XT shifter !

This bike was in relative good condition for its age and for the low price. But requires a complete CLA. As you can imagine for a bike stored 15 years in a garage.
Some weaknesses : a broken spoke on a rear, no grease anywhere, a mix of Shimano components including poor plastic brake levers
Many strengths : few rust, a nice old look (lugged frame !) and a better frame than expected, even if the whole is a bit heavy...

I discovered the brand after returning at home : Tushingham !
What is it ? Did they make good bicycles ?
Thanks to this site, I found here some precious information.

IMG_20210822_153136.jpg

Ok, my new toys is 'probably a standard "B-52" first version, not the rare race version, or a prototype like the one above, but I like it !

I will firstly do a good CLA, and put it on the road again.

There are many original parts missing. Even the seat post is ITM branded, like some older french/italian bikes. Rims are two different Rigida models, etc ...
So I will certainly not restore it as it was at the 'exit of the store'. Rather with an homogeneous groupset and components from this period, if I find.

I have 2 questions please :
- Do you know if these bikes were sold in France at this time ?
- Without the Tange sticker, is there a way to know the type of tubes used ? The seat post is stamped 26.4 ...

Best Regards

Great info, here's my early, single bottle chainstay u brake, no b52 decal, Triple Butted Tushingham

Build thread and back story:

IMG_20220109_162332.jpg

I have 2 questions please :
- Do you know if these bikes were sold in France at this time ?
- Without the Tange sticker, is there a way to know the type of tubes used ? The seat post is stamped 26.4 ...

Cool bike.

I'd be surprised, logical to start local i.e. UK with such a small operation without the barriers of distance, language and complexity of exporting. But they might have. Lots of English folk have moved to France, perhaps someone brought theirs or a French person took a bike back with them.

You could weigh the frame, triple butted will be lighter than the straight gauge. However finding the weight it should be might be difficult.... I didn't weigh mine before building.....you could compare to a muddy fox courier frame weight or other similar frames given they are so similar.

Back