Tubeset nerds - explain Ritchey Logic Super Tubing

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I'm finding myself a little confused as to the meaning of the Ritchey Logic Super Tubing decals on a couple of my bikes, I know that this decal was commonly applied to tubesets selected my Ritchey but actually manufactured by Tange. What I don't understand is why very similar decals are used for different tubesets, or so I've been recently informed.

On my recently acquired Rocky Mountain, tentatively IDed as a 1990 Hammer, this decal appears:

IMG_1056_zpsuajpjfdc.jpg

I know Rocky Mountain and Ritchey had a long standing relationship, my 1986 "Ritchey" was actually made in Japan using a Ritchey tubeset and then sold in Canada by Rocky Mountain as part of a cross-border distribution deal. This decal differs from the usual Logic Super Tubing decal by the addition of the maple leaf and CANADA text.

This decal appears on my Ritchey P23:

IMG_1055_zpsdua9jzc8.jpg

You will note the "shield" area is near identical, the text reads exactly the same. Obviously there is no maple leaf, but there is a box below the shield with Tange's "Prestige' logo.

Now I know full well that the P23 is a Prestige frame, but I have been informed that the Hammer frame is not, and my confusion stems from the use of a near identical Tubeset identifier on both frames. Does "Ritchey Logic Super Tubing - by Tange" actually not really mean anything? Did they stick it on Tange 5, MTB, Infinity etc tubesets as well as Prestige? How could you ever tell?

I do notice that both frames have the flattened, ovalised lower seat tube which I thought was Prestige specific (based on Kona Kilauea / Explosif I have owned). Was the Prestige tubeset actually just the 3 main tubes, or were there Prestige stay tube options too?

Re:

Total guess but I doubt they'd put their name to anything too low spec. And if its prestige they're gonna have that prominently displayed. So maybe just two levels: standard and prestige...?

They had different levels, prestige is prestige tubing to their specs
None prestige is other tubing to their specs
WCS was a silly spec tubing above the prestige spec for racing .. if they had one that year.
BUT and a big BUT it could be any supplier, of course prestige and by Tange gives the early 90s away.
Often it would be shorter butting etc.
Oval tubes where used through the range of prestige tubing. Later moved to a bulge butt.

Later they moved to different suppliers.

FluffyChicken":2wsrky0h said:
They had different levels, prestige is prestige tubing to their specs
None prestige is other tubing to their specs
WCS was a silly spec tubing above the prestige spec for racing .. if they had one that year.
BUT and a big BUT it could be any supplier, of course prestige and by Tange gives the early 90s away.
Often it would be shorter butting etc.
Oval tubes where used through the range of prestige tubing. Later moved to a bulge butt.

Later they moved to different suppliers.

Good info, thanks FC. So am I to surmise the seat tube on the Hammer is Prestige, but perhaps not the other tubing? Completely unscientific, but the P23 top and down tubes have a noticeably higher "ping" when flicked with a fingernail.

as mentioned by FC in your other ID thread, that red maple leaf design Ritchey tubing decal is for 92 model year (i think it's the only year they used that design?). so isn't correct for that Hammer if it's a 90 model.

RockiMtn":1nvd5krx said:
as mentioned by FC in your other ID thread, that red maple leaf design Ritchey tubing decal is for 92 model year (i think it's the only year they used that design?). so isn't correct for that Hammer if it's a 90 model.

Well, what's strange about that bike is that it has the MT6X Deore DX group including the wide profile cantilevers, but the narrow profile M650 DX canti's were introduced for the 1991 model year. The decals applied are all later than that to my eye, and the paint - def not the orange/grey commonly seen (there's at least one like that in here in Peterborough), but it's a top notch paint job, factory quality at the very least, did RM offer a respray or custom paint service? I know some manufacturers did in the 1990s.

Re:

A few early '92 Orange Prestige have this decal :

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,244
Re: Re:

mechagouki":kb5vs3if said:
MatBH5":kb5vs3if said:
A few early '92 Orange Prestige have this decal :

That's near identical to the one on my P23, which i guess makes it a 1991 or 1992 bike.

I bought the Orange new in March '92, and recall it'd been in the shop a month or so before that.
(I cycled in this bike to my GCSE exams - in May/June '92)

Back