Trevor Jarvis flying Gate 1979

knowthejo

Senior Retro Guru
Flying Gate. Trevor Jarvis. 1979

So the Time has come.

5801499586_bba7175eac_z.jpg

Trevor Jarvis, Flying Gate. 1979. 531 DB.

This is one of Trevor's first Flying Gates. It was built in 1979 in his Staffordshire workshops. It is a truly magnificent bicycle.

Here is the spec of the full bike.

Frame
531 DB
22 1/2 (57cm) ctc - both effective seattube and toptube.
Amazing 36inch wheelbase.
73 degree headtube and effective seat-tube angle
Rear facing/ track drop outs.
Derailleur hanger
Cantilever boses!
Single DT boss
Flamboyant Green - refinished by Mercian and still in fantastic condition. Some very very tiny scratches - but hardly anything.

The rest:
- Sturmey Archer 3 speed S3X fixed gear rear hub laced with DT spokes to Regida rim
- Schmidt dynamo hub with Schmidt Edelux front light laced to Regida rim
- Campagnolo record pista chainset
- Campagnolo record pista carbon BB (less than 200 miles from new)
- Campagnolo Mirage headset
- Brooks SWIFT - hardly used - under 250miles
- Nitto Moustache bars, now with Green Brooks Bar Tape
- Panaracer pasela tyres
- Grand Cru cantilever brakes
- Shimano Ultegra aero levers
- SR post and Stem (Nitto available if desired)
- DID Racing Pro NJS Approved 1/8" Track Chain - less than 200miles

5800941959_41540b8541.jpg

5801495432_5446447c02.jpg

5801497596_286244b4c6.jpg

I have a lot of paper work and general ephemera! Letters between the Doug (an awesome dude I bought it from!) and Trevor Jarvis and the original order form.

6348310642_1fcdb93412_z.jpg

Complete bike £1150 (extra £100 for the Edelux light)

or frame alone £500 (will throw in Campagnolo headset too) - then the rest will be up for grabs.

This is a very unique thing indeed. The ride is amazing, super quick. Great fixed ride as so responsive and hardly any flex, which means hills are a doddle - plus with the 3 speed fixed, perfectly easy to head out for a 70mile Sunday ride in Kent without killing yourself.

Pick up Brockley, SE4. Trying out welcome at the Union Cycle Works on Saturdays. Will ship at cost.

More and bigger pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowthejo/sets/72157628135508632/

Cant for the life of me see how it works as it doesnt seem to clamp around the seat lug, as in the mountain bike style if you know what I mean. Can you explain, Im interested.
A friend of mine had one of these frames when we rode together at the same time back in 1979, also one of the first.
Malky

Cant for the life of me see how it works as it doesnt seem to clamp around the seat lug, as in the mountain bike style if you know what I mean. Can you explain, Im interested.
A friend of mine had one of these frames when we rode together at the same time back in 1979, also one of the first.
Malky

I have tried to draw it - see attached.

It basically has a smaller diameter tube brazed into the seat-tube - with a slit cut. So being 531db its a generic 27.2 inside diameter, and the brazed tube takes it down to a 25.4.

The clamp then sits around this smaller tube and compresses the tube around the seatpost....

Sorry best job I can do!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-24 at 23.28.54.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-24 at 23.28.54.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,918
Thanks, I understand it all now. It just has the appearance that the centre pull hangar/clamp is just clamped around the seat pin in the pic. But thats obviously because this clamp tube is silver in colour. If I had some spare cash at the moment I would think about having this frame. The ultra short wheelbase will make it very responsive/fast.

Back