Tour de France Theme Tune

Re: TdF retro theme

vademecum":2ax98nj3 said:
I also can't see how it is possible to say that the TdF stages in the Vosges or on the cobbles are boring.

The top podium step has "Nibali" written all over it, but even with near-foregone conclusions like that and Sagan's points jersey combined with Nibali's biggest GC rivals dropping like flies*, this year's race hasn't lacked for action. The Pinot vs. Bardet bunfight for 3rd place, white jersey and top home rider all rolled into one, whilst not exactly on the Anquetil/Poulidor scale, is certainly interesting viewing, producing some good team riding from both FdJ - witness Jeremy Roy going flat-out today to tow Pinot to the line purely for the purpose of putting more time into Bardet - and ag2r (and the latter squad has Peraud as a very good back-up plan).

David

*Only serving to reinforce Sky's folly of not selecting Wiggo. :facepalm:

David B":3721wqvg said:
vademecum":3721wqvg said:
I also can't see how it is possible to say that the TdF stages in the Vosges or on the cobbles are boring.

The top podium step has "Nibali" written all over it, but even with near-foregone conclusions like that and Sagan's points jersey combined with Nibali's biggest GC rivals dropping like flies*, this year's race hasn't lacked for action. The Pinot vs. Bardet bunfight for 3rd place, white jersey and top home rider all rolled into one, whilst not exactly on the Anquetil/Poulidor scale, is certainly interesting viewing, producing some good team riding from both FdJ - witness Jeremy Roy going flat-out today to tow Pinot to the line purely for the purpose of putting more time into Bardet - and ag2r (and the latter squad has Peraud as a very good back-up plan).

David

*Only serving to reinforce Sky's folly of not selecting Wiggo. :facepalm:

+1 to all this.

Yesterday's stage over the Tourmalet was a great watch. I went for a tea break with my colleagues when Nibali was four minutes back because I expected he would just sit back and defend his lead - not much to see, then. When I came back from my break he was attacking the stage leader and went on to win!

Beautiful, and a nice bit of revenge over that imposter Horner to boot :cool:

Looked at afterwards, I would say Nibali carried off the right tactics with his early stage wins and attacks - I think he put Froometador under pressure and maybe even forced those two to make the mistakes that put them out of the tour. And his 7 minute lead suggests he could have been strong enough to beat at least Contador.

The Belgian tour pundits have been bleating about this being a boring tour, and even insinuating that the sudden rise of the French teams is due to doping - that seems like sour grapes to me. It's just as likely to be the fact that the French FDJ and ag2r have both suddenly discovered the ability to ride as a team.

The bleating seems to me to be a symptom of the fact the Belgians have faded into insignificance in this tour. Their two main teams have been over reliant on ageing heroes and on buying in overseas talent rather than developing younger Belgian riders. Now they are paying the price...

Re:

Maybe little OT but imho there has never been and never will be a better theme than this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTZyXlLhvxs[/youtube]

Hard to believe it's from 1984. 30 years ago! Ahead of the times. Kraftwerk was such a great "band".

Re:

BTW, did Pete Shelley from the Buzzcocks really write the C4 TdF theme,
or is that one of those urban myths like Bob Holness playing the saxophone on 'Baker Street' or David Bowie inventing Connect 4?

Johnsqual":nm6qg9qs said:
It's just as likely to be the fact that the French FDJ and ag2r have both suddenly discovered the ability to ride as a team.

One FDJ rider the commentators haven't heaped much praise on is Arnold Jeannesson, yet he's worked tirelessly for Pinot on the hardest stages. Definitely an unsung hero of this year's race.

Assuming the injuries sustained in the run-in to today's stage finish aren't too major, I can see Peraud making a determined bid for 2nd podium spot in the TT tomorrow, whilst Tony Martin looks a safe bet for the actual stage victory.

David

Re:

Good call on Martin. His previous stage win was also one of the best moments of the tour.
Always nice to see someone win from a solo like that.

Re: Re:

Johnsqual":moqpptig said:
or is that one of those urban myths like Bob Holness playing the saxophone on 'Baker Street' or David Bowie inventing Connect 4?

Completely true - Pete Shelley did indeed write that music. As a nod to the Bob Holness urban myth, apparently 'Baker Street' was chosen for the final piece of music at Bob's memorial service a couple of years ago.

David

Re: Re:

David B":1zyrb8gw said:
Johnsqual":1zyrb8gw said:

Completely true - Pete Shelley did indeed write that music. As a nod to the Bob Holness urban myth, apparently 'Baker Street' was chosen for the final piece of music at Bob's memorial service a couple of years ago.

David

When the Thin White Duke shuffles off this mortal coil, I wonder if they will pause during his memorial service for a quick round of Connect 4.

Back