Torridon, 28th/29th April 2012

Ka is pretty tight in the back TK, Velo barely fits in the front... my daughter enjoys whingeing about lack of room too... you can eyeball it on Friday and decide.

What's the distance to Torridon from Dundeh?

The AA routemaster eays fouking miles and miles, so pack some sarnies. Having owned a ka and paying heed to the universal law that even if you do get the car packed on the way up, youll never fit all the stuff back in on the return, i would take the van ;)

Sounds like Touran it is then ZZ - we'll see when you arrive but I'll top up just in case.

4 hours 2 mins from my house - 185 miles round trip should be 1 tank of fuel for the touran, about £80.
http://g.co/maps/trz9c

I think a coffee/lunch stop at aviemore/inverness would be a good idea - we could also pick up any food/beer we need at that point.

Aim to leave mine at 12ish?

The place I want to stop at is the Bikestation in Perth, need to pick something up and to show you guys the P7 they have.

Took the Marin out last night and did 15miles on the flat, starting to not like full sus - it saps the energy a bit. I might also need to change the very nice looking pedals - they are a bit slippy for me.

It is also a little "clunky" - there seems to be no dampening when the shocks top out (when there is no weight on them like in a jump) Front forks are the same (Judy DH). Does anyone know if this is normal?

The good thing is when you get it up to speed it feels good and the shocks work well to even stuff out - jumping is fun other than the clunky noise.

The Ken":2599i9cs said:
Took the Marin out last night and did 15miles on the flat, starting to not like full sus - it saps the energy a bit.
I felt exactly the same about the Moho when I first started riding it, especially on the climbs, even with the rear shock locked out. I was convinced that the chain tensioner was creating a huge amount of drag (it wasn't, it still feels like there is as much effort with it removed).

I think you just have to accept that full sus is harder work than a hardtail, and it's the price you pay for the rewards on the downs.

Interestingly, I never thought the i-Drive had this problem, probably down to the weirdy BB design being better at isolating the pedalling from the suspension.

Have you made any attempt at set up TK?

BTW as someone mentioned earlier in the thread the Bealacj na ba climb isnae far. Could have a wee race up it. :)

I-drive is very clever, basically a URT suspension design where the BB stays relatively in the same place fore or aft which helps to greatly reduce pogo effects, the URT's downfall, whilst retaining drive without suspension feedback the URT's plus :roll:
Big problem is the complex series of bearings in vicinity of the BB which is just asking to attract oodles of trail crap.

Marin does have the advantage of high single pivot design which digs in the rear wheel when you apply power :cool:

I'll be ready at 1030 for collection ZZ ;)

unfortunately chaps, I don't have a great sense of the area, my homeland is that winged isle to the west :p

i have however, taken the liberty of pulling off :oops: :oops: I mean printing off the routes that we mentioned earlier (including the singletrack maps). I had hoped to do a few searches for more options, but have struggled with time

I read somewhere that the loop of Liathach was rough, very rough... but then again some peoples rough are others smooth.

the ride i fancied was the Tollie Path route (no Billy Connelly jobbie jokes pls). it's 27K, 900 ascent. It's in the wrong direction from home but just 12 miles and has road passages.

www.mountainbikescotland.com/Tolliepathsample.pdf

Back