Tool theft

Re:

Yes sir, yes they are. My bro has nothing but De Walt over the pond, and he is a professional.

I actually have a B&D corded drill that I bought in 1991 that is still in fine working order. Originally been put into action running 13mm into reinforced concrete walls in a flat in Salford, making a drawing/study desk from a discarded security door, screwing the hinges straight to the wall, and a couple of hooks and chain to make it adjustable. More drilling for shelving and for speakers and such, lots of drilling, and tonnes of heavy use on cars with various attachments. It is a digital one, with all sorts of functions so I am amazed it is still 100%.

What I love about modern cordless tools is the fact the batteries last. I have a Bosch low end (ish) one I keep in my tool bag, and the battery lasts months of intermittent use.

Can't beat a good tool.

Re: Re:

toomanyframes":34u9pxs9 said:
I quite like the Bosch stuff,pretty sturdy and reasonably priced.I would've got a full cordless setup from them but via a massive stroke of luck I got a 6 piece Dewalt kit instead! (And a dab radio/charger)

I really like the festool stuff but i think some of the ancillaries are a bit on the steep side.(mind you it's not exactly cheap to begin with)

My home insurance wouldn't cover it as the car wasn't on my the property. :facepalm: I did once try to get a quote to cover my tools and it was more than they all cost to buy.

:) thats hard with the insurance :(
As ever lesson learned :( a hard one.

Ach well, these things are sent to try our mettle. Shit happens pull a face and get on with it :LOL:

Re:

What I love about modern cordless tools is the fact the batteries last.

The newer ones are probably lithium based, like mobile phone batteries, which are much less prone to self discharging than Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh.

I don't often use an electric drill, so I have a fairly cheap corded one, but I needed a cordless to fit a wall anchor with four large 12mm bolts to a brick wall, well away from the nearest power point. I borrowed a friend's Makita and when he gave it to me it was quite small and I wondered whether it would powerful enough; I was impressed, it had plenty of oomph for the job.

Re:

I wasnt knocking black n d, just the jigsaw.

I have a angle grinder that has seen 30 years use and showing no signs of stopping and a b n d dremel-a-like that was use to port two v8 cylinder heads, got so hot i couldnt hold it but is still going strong.

Is there not an issue with lithium batteries in like they dont like being completely discharged. Leaving them for any length of time isnt so good either, they need to be topped up occasionally. Or so i seem to remember having seen somewhere :?

That said 5A/H on a 24v :shock: pretty much replaces corded for all but the heaviest, and even then ive used 36v for core cutting concrete.

Re: Re:

xerxes":nu6pmdx5 said:
Ah yes black and decker! That bastion of quality over gimmickry

Isn't DeWalt actually Black & Decker?
Yes they are (as already mentioned) they bought elu out many years ago too.
What I find startling is the difference between the different companies although I'd imagine they aim one at the trade/professional market and one towards d.i.y.

I think the trick with li-on batteries is you can keep topping up the charge and they don't suffer memory whereas ni-cd and ni-mh have to be fully discharged

Re:

In my cameras batteries now last weeks of being on 'standby' and the drill I always have to hand can live without a charge for months, and be ready to rumble. No, the bearings are fine. It's just an expression. That one is a Bosch GSB1800 Screwfix special they are knocking out for a ton. Nice, but more heavy metal than jazz in operation.

Re:

In my cameras batteries now last weeks of being on 'standby' and the drill I always have to hand can live without a charge for months, and be ready to rumble.

Regardless of composition, Ni-MH, Lithium, etc., some brands are better than others. If you have something that uses Ni-MH batteries try some Sanyo Eneloop: http://main.panasonic-eneloop.eu/en/products, it's not just marketing guff, they really do hold their charge for ages, whereas others I've tried will go flat in a couple of weeks if left unused in a torch or camera.

Back