Todays experiment in crank restoration!

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Thought i might see if i could do something with some heal rubbed and faded black mt60 cranks. They had a lot of rock stike and other damage too. So decided to ho a highlight polish.....

These aren't perfect, as they needed a much better polish prior to touching up the black, then re polish to post spray, but as an idea for diy rejuvenation of some scrap, which wouldn't sell for £10...... i think it works!

why not pull a set out and have a go.... 20230120_102200.jpg 20230222_094158.jpg

A worthy transformation.

What did you use to polish them?

On this, drono disc to remove anodising, then 600, 1000, 1200 wet and dry....autosol.

Really just a quick fix to see how it looked. Also, air brushed in the black gloss....not perfect, but just to het an idea out of my head.

Nice, got a Xt black crankset with similar rub marks. Tried using that product that is used to blacken tools with, but that didn’t really work.

Dronco is kinda like a scotchbrite pad flap disc......be aware, they are NOT for use on alluminium....even says it on them.....as they cut really fast! But they also cut with less striations than a flap disc....

The other problem is they overheat on alluminium if your not careful and melt....then they pick up the bits, then they scratch stuff.......just go steady with them...

Back