Titanium CQP Cranks

deralex":rbd9r1ql said:
I´ve seen such a pair before. Could be the same set.
Maybe the repairs are made by CQP but it is not original.

the ends of the crankarms & pedal thread section looks to be 1 piece machined & then welded to the arm. I hadnt seen a set like this before either

compared to these, they do look different, as you say, I suspect its a CQP repair
main.php

Re:

Those machined barrel-shaped ends aren't original, but are far from a cheap repair, so likely a proprietary job. Interesting.

Wouldn't say no, but I'd prefer a set of Le Creme or Propeller, not that they're any more practical!

Re:

If you take a close look at the welds, the ones at the pedal inserts are different to those at the tapers.
1) could be a repair for a crack at the pedal threads (a damage not unusual for titanium cranks)
2) could be a modification to get a better Q-factor (the CQP titanium have a bad=high Q-factor.

A similar set was offered at a swiss flea market about two years ago. A few weeks later a set was offered at ebay. Now a similar set is offered from Switzerland and Ashok from Switzerland owns such a set, too. This is a lot of swiss influence for a US crank. I don´t think that this is original CQP.

Hi there,

I know of yet another set (of those type of CQP titanium cranks with welds) and the guy is also in Switzerland.
So @ der Alex that would make we already have 4 of such welded sets which are in/from Switzerland, right?

Well here's the secret: CQP sent the "normal" ti cranks to Switzerland, where they were smashed against rocks in the Alps to see if they truly were that strong as assumed...
but most broke and then....they had to re-weld them. That's the whole Story. :))) lol hahaha

No, I'm kidding. Sorry, should be more serious now.
The cranks are not rewelded. So some CQP cranks came in this way.
The Explanation I got is that the "custom" written on the cranks is indeed that - they were custom made in a very small round of production and as far as I know they are the earlier Version of the "normal" CQP cranks.

The normal CQP Ti cranks were introduced to the market in early/mid 1992 if I am not mistaken and thus the CQP Ti with welds were actually from 1991.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
100% no.
Cook Bros is not CQP. The Cook cranks are early BMX dogbone cranks without any lightening features.
I´m always surprised how high the auctions of Hutch, Titron, Cook and other stuff is sold.
BMX collector=mad; MTB collector=smart?

@biker 23: Beeing quite an addicted crank collector I am still not convinced that the CQP are as collectible as the other, more common CQP Pro-Lite titanium showed by Scant. I know at least more than one type of the "normal" ones. For example I have a right crank with a small triangle machined out of the back of the crank to clear the big ring and I have another one without that. Maybe I should make a picture.
There is a chance that some of your 4 cranks are less because of a single set showing up more than one time. I`m sure that the set sold at the flea market is the same as the one sold a few weeks later at ebay. Maybe the same as the one auctioned now.
By the way: Mine don´t show it but this one is "custom built" (whatever that means), too and it is a normal Pro-Lite Titanium:
cqp3.jpg

scant":m6zaujt4 said:
deralex":m6zaujt4 said:
I´ve seen such a pair before. Could be the same set.
Maybe the repairs are made by CQP but it is not original.

the ends of the crankarms & pedal thread section looks to be 1 piece machined & then welded to the arm. I hadnt seen a set like this before either

compared to these, they do look different, as you say, I suspect its a CQP repair
main.php

This set of CQP Ti Cranks were once mine. I bought them in 2002 and sold them in 2005. They were in original condition. Never rewelded or something (afaik).

Attachments

• CQP_Titan_Kurbeln_1992.jpg
    CQP_Titan_Kurbeln_1992.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00050.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC00004jhj.jpg
    DSC00004jhj.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 265
deralex":34zybtpc said:
100% no.
Cook Bros is not CQP. The Cook cranks are early BMX dogbone cranks without any lightening features.
I´m always surprised how high the auctions of Hutch, Titron, Cook and other stuff is sold.
BMX collector=mad; MTB collector=smart?

@biker 23: Beeing quite an addicted crank collector I am still not convinced that the CQP are as collectible as the other, more common CQP Pro-Lite titanium showed by Scant. I know at least more than one type of the "normal" ones. For example I have a right crank with a small triangle machined out of the back of the crank to clear the big ring and I have another one without that. Maybe I should make a picture.
There is a chance that some of your 4 cranks are less because of a single set showing up more than one time. I`m sure that the set sold at the flea market is the same as the one sold a few weeks later at ebay. Maybe the same as the one auctioned now.
By the way: Mine don´t show it but this one is "custom built" (whatever that means), too and it is a normal Pro-Lite Titanium:
cqp3.jpg

How odd that the script on the arm spells aluminium the English way.

Back