Tinkerers' Corner - Shimano RD Cage Swap - LIVE FEED!

Shimano - with this little object instead of small allen key bolt, I am hating you more and more....

One down, one to go. I need a stiff drink though because I almost pierced my balls with a precision screw driver.

Attachments

• DSC01008.JPG
    DSC01008.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 238
The Sora is much easier. I managed to get the plastic clip off by pushing it from the back on the parallelogram side of the knuckle; the tiny slit is in fact much larger than the Alivio. The circlip was a doddle to get off too.

Moment of truth to see if these cages are compatible in the knuckle.....

Attachments

• DSC01010.JPG
    DSC01010.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 233
They look the same.....if they fit, Shimano I just may start loving you again !

What I noticed the cage arm thickness on the Sora is very thin, no doubt fueled by the roady
obsession to save grams and allows Shimano to keep costs down - the Alivio looks much stronger.

Attachments

• DSC01011.JPG
    DSC01011.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 231
Mmmh. Well, mixed bag.

The shaft diameter, length, and outer bush diameters are the same. They basically fit each other.

What is NOT the same is the spring location springs in the cage themselves (those little holes, a
choice of two to get the right spring tension) so I need to fiddle more.

Going for a top-up....feeling this one is on the home furlong though.... :cool:

Attachments

• DSC01012.JPG
    DSC01012.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 229
Bugger. Scrap what I said earlier about two holes in the cage to choose from - there's only one.

Can't get enough cage tension with the Sora and Alivio cage - needs a decent tension after all it
will be a triple. The solution is to drill another hole in the cage at a suitable place.

Oh yeah, like wise the original Sora cage in the Alivio is impossible to mount due to too much tension...of course.

One new tension hole for the spring in each cage - just used the other cage for the template to find the right position :cool:

You see, here we go again. Back in the day there used to be two holes in the cage to take into account
spring fade - even on STX level stuff.

Moment of truth around the corner to see if this all fits.

Attachments

• DSC01013.JPG
    DSC01013.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 216

Latest posts

Back