Tim Gould's '93 Newnham Schwinn (homage) FINISHED

Re: Tim Gould Schwinn homage build

That looong wait until your LBS wheelbuilder gets back from his 2 week's holiday....

image by Bollox2u, on Flickr

Decals from Gil

Re:

Getting there mate, it will be worth the wait!

I had to stop first time up the Chimney. Hardest part was not falling over, plastic shoe plates don't grip steep tarmac very well!

Mike

To be honest I find its the thrill of the chase and the challenges that makes a build worth while.

Where's the joy in waving your wallet at someone else's build, and the satisfaction factor of succeeding against the odds will be zero.

Retro Spud":t49kz3l4 said:
To be honest I find its the thrill of the chase and the challenges that makes a build worth while.

Where's the joy in waving your wallet at someone else's build, and the satisfaction factor of succeeding against the odds will be zero.

I second that, KK!

Is that a ritchey tubes sticker on the seattube?
My Schwinn pdg 90 from 92 is made of Tange prestige.

Jens_BM":3tpotpeb said:
Is that a ritchey tubes sticker on the seattube?
My Schwinn pdg 90 from 92 is made of Tange prestige.

Recreating the Team bikes, so...

Also, it says Ritchey Logic Super tubing, by Tange, and then Prestige in the box under - as that Ritchey tubing was made by Tange.

Logic tubing was Tange Prestige tubing with butts custom spec'd by Ritchey. The idea behind the Logic tubing was that the thicker ends were shorter so that there was more of the thinner middle section making the tubing lighter. Both were thinwall - for their time - and heat treated.

Among others, '92 Oranges and Rocky Mountains used the same tubeset viewtopic.php?f=1&t=356870

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1zq8ns87 said:
Getting there mate, it will be worth the wait!

I had to stop first time up the Chimney. Hardest part was not falling over, plastic shoe plates don't grip steep tarmac very well!

Mike

After regaining my breath for 2 mins :shock: , I placed the bike across the road and remounted - sharp 180 degree turn and I was off again.
MTB shoes (Don't tell the Velomati) so OK grip :LOL:

Did 68 Kms after Rosedale, and in total 1770 metres climbing, so was well chuffed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1047326123

Re:

Funny thing is I lived in Pickering, but moved away in '83 (joined the RAF) before MTBs were really around, so a lot is unknown to me.

Re: Re:

Bollox64":2tjr6e6j said:
Funny thing is I lived in Pickering, but moved away in '83 (joined the RAF) before MTBs were really around, so a lot is unknown to me.

1983...those were the days, Van Halens Go ahead jump, New Orders Blue Monday were riding high in the charts,
I'd just turned 13 and riding a Raleigh Winner that I had as a birthday pressie...

Fooking hell.....thats 34 years ago :shock:

Back