Ti virgin needs help!

Wadsy.

Nice job on the frame - not heard of Garryflex blocks before but just Googled them and will have a read up.

The current finish I have is very shiney - almost mirror like and this is what I'd like to get back.

julesg007":td6vks4l said:
I am aware that there have been problems with CK frames, but your comments "It's a Clark Kent, so check that sucker for cracks like your life depends on it, because if you're going to ride it, it does." seems to indicate that all CK frames are going to fall to pieces, which I am sure is news to those here on the forum happily riding CK frames with no problems whatsoever.

Also you seem to be indicating that the problem is down to metal fatigue, which seems to indicate no matter what your frame is made off and who it is made by it will also fall to pieces, which again I'm sure will be big news to everyone on the forum.

I have riden both steel and alloy frames and I have never had a problem with them.

So why is a titanium frame any different?
[/quote]

You're correctbthat any frame can fail from fatigue, different alloys, be they of steel, aluminum or titanium, can endure a certain number of vibration cycles before they start to lose tensile strength. Aluminum alloys tend to fatigue fastest, titanium alloys used in bicycles have much longer lives, but how soon they will fail is greatly dependent on usage. Steel is less likely to fail dramatically, but steel frames do lose some "life" after long term usage.

As for the CK frames, they weren't properly back-purged, look inside the seat tube, BB or head tube and you will likely see rainbow discoloration that is typical of oxygen contamination in titanium welds.

You don't have to take my word for it, just Google "clark kent titanium crack" for lots of first hand accounts of how fragile these frames are.

I am aware of the problem that not back purging the welds with argon gas creates, and as I understand and you have pointed out this was the case with some of the frames CK made.

I do, however, think your comments that all CK frames will crack is far too much of a genrealised statement as there afterall riders of CK frames here on the forum who haven't had any problems and no doubt expect them to last many years hence.

Moreover in my particlaur case my frame was welded up by Ivo Vinklarek, who I understand was a highly regarded Ti welder and the problems started when CK outsourced the frame building.

You may also find the following interesting;

"There were several welders. The two best known are Ivo Vinklarek and Don Herr. Both of these guys are as good as anyone in the business, IMHO. "

That is from;

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicy ... =19&hl=en#

"Pretty much all the frames welded by Ivo Vinkralek are bullet proof." and "The only problem I see with Clark Kent frames is the inconsistency in workmanship. But rest assured that if your frame was welded by Ivo Vinkralek, it will not crack.

That is post no. 15 from

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... 89617.html

I have also checked my frame and there are no silly colours and the frame has no cracks despite being 17 years old and it is a used frame, it hasn't been hanging up on someones wall. A good friend of mine has also looked at the frame and has no conerns about the welds and he does know what he is talking about.

I therefore expect that the frame to give me many years of service especially as I am making the frame up as a 26" wheeled road bike, which is what I have been riding on the road for more years than I can remember, so the frame won't be under the same stresses that a a frame would normally be subjected to when taken off road.

I do, however, concede that nothing lasts forever and at some point the frame may fail but as far as I can see, it won't be because of the lack of argon gas back purging of the welds when the frame was made, as if it was going to happen, it would have happened by, wouldn't it?

Well I read your links and it sounds like you got a good one, and no disolouration inside the tubes is for sure a good thing, i would still recommend checking the welds on a fairly regular basis though, I check the welds on my GT frequently, Xizangs don't have a huge reputation for cracking, but I know of at least 2 that have. Likewise I am aware of titanium Konas, Oranges, Litespeeds and Marins that have both weld and tube cracks. Sadly, titanium isn't the wonder metal it was painted as in the 1990s, it is a great frame material, with some wonderful properties, but still has its limitations. Very good for road bikes though.

mechagouki

The advice concerning checking for problems is indeed common sense and something I will get into the habit of doing once the frame is built in a bike - after all better to be safe than eating tarmac!

I am of course hopeful that I won't have to report the frame has died but if it does I will get a huge spoon and eat mega amounts of humble pie and do two things, i) post it up on the forum and ii) update the thread on MTBR!

Back