Threading a titanium steerer

Re:

I have lengthened the thread on a Ti steerer myself with ‘sharp’ Prof quality tools and plenty of cutting oil. Ti has its known issues being cut but If you have the tools diy and good luck :) I never had any issues but did it smoothly and carefully. Ti normally starts to become a pain to cut with fast cutting power tools. Sure someone will pipe up to dispute this :LOL: but thats my experience.

Ah cool to know - I'd rather send to a frame builder to do for me I think to avoid the cost of buying the tools and also avoiding cocking it up!

Anyone recommend anywhere?

Yeah, just post them to me.

I bet the forks would look good on my DBR, if not I may eventually get round to threading them with
Dutch courage and my swanky Lidl tap and die set. It's only a Ti fork, what could possibly go wrong?

:xmas-big-grin:

jez-4-bikes-max":32tfgbp6 said:
Ah cool to know - I'd rather send to a frame builder to do for me I think to avoid the cost of buying the tools and also avoiding cocking it up!

Anyone recommend anywhere?

If its 3/2.5 Ti tubing its prolly best to ask some of the top frame builders then. They may be terrified it will wreck their tools by galling ( costing more than the labour is worth etc ) and fob you off. Im guessing most shops wont attempt it. It needs a high quality sharp ( newish ) cutting tool or the threads could be damaged, jam up or flake off after, wrecking the steerer in the process. If you are capable with tools there are plenty of how to vids on YT. Square alignment ‘before’ you start cutting thread in the steerer is key and you may need to start a tiny pre groove with a dremmel first.

I say buy the correct quality die & give it go - be brave ! A German chap called Christian sells Ti steerers from time to time on ebay. Bought quite a few from bim. He will do some custom stuff and may do it for you. Enigma in the UK will do it for you i’m sure but it wont be cheap.

I would like to know this as well. I may hit up Ti-Cycles in Portland Oregon. They tend to take on work like this on occasion and are super reasonable with regards to cost. I know that probably doesn't help you in the UK but thought I would at least suggest it.

Back