threaded headset questions...

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i'm about to take the forks off an old marin with a threaded ritchey headset and i've got a couple of quick questions before i make any big decisions.

1) when i unscrew the top 2 nuts on the thread, the forks should drop out leaving a bearing set on the top and a bearing set on the bottom - true or false?

2) if the bearings are still in decent order, i can simply degrease them then re-grease with fresh stuff before re-assembly - true, false or true but i'd be better with new ones?

3) are headset cups a standard size? if so what are my chances of finding a set of red ano cups without having to drop £50 odd on a king unit?

4) for the sake of a tenner, am i better dropping a new ritchey one on (like this... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39820)

5) should i even be contemplating getting a threadless headset and a set of short travel forks despite not having the cash for it?!

thanks folks.

1. True

2. Maybe. They may be sealed units or they may be caged ball bearings or they may be loose (and drop all over your floor. If they're sealed you can try cleaning and re-greasing or simply replace them. If they're caged then you can simply clean, re-grease and reassemble though I prefer lobbing the cages away and fitting more balls. If they're loose balls then find them from under the stuff in the man cave, clean re-grease and re-assemble.

3. No.

4. No. Give it a go, see how you get on, you may well learn a new skill for the sake of a bit of time and grease. If you make an utter balls up of it then spend the tenner.

5. No. Suspension forks are the very engines of Satan himself and threadless headsets are the beginning of the end. You'll be considering discs and rear suspension next.

i believe in fixies":32xqnvh3 said:
5. No. Suspension forks are the very engines of Satan himself and threadless headsets are the beginning of the end. You'll be considering discs and rear suspension next.

it was a low, lingering thought in the back of my head that needed airing if only to be shot down in flames!

lack of fundage being as good of a reason as any to say no, i do like the way the bike rides as it is!

Latest posts

Back