Third time lucky, 1990 Stumpjumper

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
One of my longer posts about one of my longer running plans: to revisit my first MTB, the 1990 Stumpjumper.

Stumpy_Halfway_009.jpg

Last March I thought I got it winning a German e-bay frameset, but it never materialised :)evil:). A few weeks ago another frame on marktplaats turned out to have the seatpost stuck and seller withdrew it. But after a tip from Melvin Elev12k (Thanks!!) I found it, right size year paint and OK condition.

So here it is, the 1990 Stumpjumper in metallic black. When I bought mine used back in 1991 I thought it was plain black. But it has a purple pearlescent hue from minute metallic particles. It is so subtle that I remember I only noticed it after owning it for several months. I bought it as a commuter, but the rrrrrrrrrrroar of the paddle tread Spesh "extreme" tires had me venturing into the woods soon enough.

The steel finishing kit is indestructable and the plain DX groupset simply works. Plus the ride is spot on, the Stumpy made me feel invincible on the local forest trails around Arnhem. I could ride stuff up and down never dreamt of and mastering the speed and danger going downhill the 50 odd metres of elevation available was a definite adrenaline rush. This is what got me hooked on mountainbikes, thank you.

I wonder who will still be reading this, but this replaces the green Explosif (that I sold on this summer) for my regular lunchrides at the office as of next week. I will gently massage it into a proper "rider": wheels, tires, sadlle, cable outers, barends, grips ... I have my work sorted for this weekend. Watch this space for updates (edit: have inserted an updated pic top of post) but here's the "before" picture of the bike as received.

Enjoy!!

StumpyBefore_004.jpg

on the local forest trails around Arnhem. I could ride stuff up and down never dreamt of and mastering

Lucky it wasn't somewhere with some proper hills then or you'd probably never have got started....

OTOH I approve of your choice of weapon for the local terrain....

Last time I was in your area I took a cross bike and didn't come even close to running out of gears mind....

Oh and what is it with the Dutch? Your urinals are at least 5cm higher up then the rest of europe's....

dbmtb":15zmjfgm said:
Lucky it wasn't somewhere with some proper hills

Coming from Denmark? I think we can shake hands on that.
FWIW the area around Arnhem has elevation up to 100-110m.

I.e. the Dutch "Mountains" ;) ;)

nice bike and nice story, here is your long lost scottish brother stumpy in SS mode- Have to say these bikes are sweet and ride so well- look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Attachments

• stumpy.jpg
    stumpy.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,802
Thanks guys and yes I've seen the SS stumpy, nice one, there's a few that I found using the search function.

I'm just trying to decide to go skinwall, blackwall or IRC rustwall just like the picture posted. IIRC in 1992 it came with Spesh blackwall tires, and gloss black rims too contrasting nicely with the silver of the braking surfaces. I do have a set of black wheels but it is 8vits and way too pimp for this build with CK hubs.

Enjoy!!

That brings back some memories. T'was the bike my brother had after his Palisades. Sadly his died in a spectacular way have way through a race in S Devon. Him and a spectator ended up returning to the Start/Finish area carrying half his bike each! A disagreement with a drainage ditch on Dartmoor a day or two before was probably the cause. He replaced it thanks to (the original) Hot Pursuit with the bright pink Stumpjumper Comp that he still rides today.

First updates: saddle, barends and wheels/tires. What do you guys think, blackwall or rustwall?

these are the wheels that I will be riding, with blackwalls
Stumpy_Halfway_003.jpg

The "Blue" wheels are a bit bling, but they do show the IRC rustwall tires
Stumpy_Halfway_009.jpg

Enjoy!!

Back